Followers

Monday, December 3, 2012

December 3 - Revelation 3: Listening to the Wind

God's words to us over and over in chapters 2 and 3 are, "Listen.  Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches."  As I ran (read: slow jog) this morning, this call from God kept going through my mind.  It's a humid morning with just barely a breeze.  I tried to listen to the wind, but I heard the road noise from the highway that's nearby.  I tried again and all I could hear was my own huffing and puffing, my footsteps, and a few birds.  It wasn't until I stopped that I could hear the faint rush of the wind and I could barely feel it on my skin.

To each church that He addresses, no matter their issue, He gives the same command:  Listen. To the Sardis church, who prided themselves in their religious busy-ness to feed their egos, He said "take a deep breath... listen."  To the Philadelphia church that felt weak (and invisible?) as they persevered in God's Word, He said, "I'm on my way.  Keep a tight grip on what you have so no one distracts you... listen."  To the Laodicean church, self-obsessed in their own well-doing and self-sufficiency, He reminded them "I know you inside and out... I [will] call to account - prod and correct and guide... Run after God!... Look at me....Listen."

God spoke in a way each church understood - just as He's speaking to me - and He's saying the same thing.  You're missing Me.  Stop.  "Listen.  Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing..."

I'm tempted to end here and hit "publish" on this post with the risk of being misunderstood about what it means to "stop."  Some ideas have already formed in your mind, I'm sure.  Rather than define or make something into a principle that shouldn't be, I'll pose some questions that have been stirring in my soul.  What is going on inside me when I hear the word "stop"?   Does it threaten my identity or purpose in some way?  Can I be still and listen in the midst of what I know God has called me to do - care for my husband and girls and relate in a way that reveals His image in whatever the circumstance?  If I say yes or no to something, am I doing it from a place of quiet in my soul?  Do my close relationships feel valued in this?  Am I aware of the competing passions in my soul - for kingdom work and for self-protection or promotion?

1 comment:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Oh, this so speaks to me cause I've been wondering about a phrase I read recently about paying close attention when God calls you to a halt. What is God doing, stopped dead in my tracks, as this world passes me by---trying to pay close attention. Your post means something to me as the Invisible weaves a thread through my desperate need of Him.