Followers

Friday, November 2, 2012

November 2 - James 3: Words Matter

We get it wrong nearly every time we open our mouths...A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything - or destroy it!...By our speech, we can ruin the world, turn harmony into chaos, and go up in smoke with it, smoke right from the pit of hell. (3:2, 5, 6)
I've been thinking a lot lately about the impact of my words. Words matter, and with my choice of words, I can give life to others, or I can snatch it away. I think I snatch it away far too often.

As someone who is naturally inclined to use words in a sinful way, I am constantly looking to Scripture for wisdom in this area. I want to keep my mind and heart filled with God's perspective on this topic:
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks...I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak. (Matthew 12:34, 36 ESV)
The mouth of a good person is a deep, life-giving well (Proverbs 10:11)
The more talk, the less truth; the wise measure their words. (Proverbs 10:19)
A good person's mouth is a clear fountain of wisdom (Proverbs 10:31)
Rash language cuts and maims, but there is healing in the words of the wise. (Proverbs 12:18)
Careful words make for a careless life; careless talk may ruin everything. (Proverbs 13:3)
A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire. (Proverbs 15:1)
Congenial conversation - what a pleasure! The right word at the right time - beautiful! (Proverbs 15:23)
Fools care nothing for thoughtful discourse; all they do is run off at the mouth. (Proverbs 18:2)
Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit - you choose. (Proverbs 18:21)
Watch your words and hold your tongue; you'll save yourself a lot of grief. (Proverbs 18:23)
Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift. (Ephesians 4:29)
Let every detail in your lives - words, actions, whatever - be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way. (Colossians 3:17) 
Lord, thank You for knowing that careless words are an area of temptation for me. I praise You for the abundance of instruction You give in Your Word and for the Spirit who dwells within me and gives me the power to use words that please You. I want to love others well and to be a giver of life, using my words to edify and bless. Lord, help me.

No comments: