Followers

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 17 - Hebrews 4: Cutting Through Everything

The promise of "arrival" and "rest" is still there for God's people...So let's keep at it and eventually arrive at the place of rest, not drop out through some sort of disobedience. (4:9, 11)
As I read this chapter, I thought of a number of people I've known who haven't finished well. That is, they walked faithfully with the Lord for a time and then something happened that caused them to veer off course.

Most of the time, it was due to tragedy or disappointment, but for a few, it was when they got what they asked for. God gave them what they wanted, and they still walked away from Him. For countless reasons, they could not rest in God's promises by faith and took matters into their own hands.

It's difficult to hold in tension the faces of these friends along side these words of Scripture. I don't know how they reconcile their faithlessness with God's Word.
We need to be careful we're not disqualified. (4:1)
If we believe, though, we'll experience that state of resting. But not if we don't have faith. (4:3) 
Those earlier ones never did get to the place of rest because they were disobedient. (4:5)
But I know that, apart from walking intimately with Christ, I, too, will slide down this slippery slope of sin, making excuses for my disobedience and lack of faith. "It's too hard." "God can't possibly expect me to do that!" "I'm not really sure that was from the Lord, anyway." And my personal favorite, "God wants me to be happy!"

The writer of Hebrews ends this section with the antidote to the enemy's deception -- God's Word. I must cling to God's Truth because it is my lifeline in the midst of battle. As long as I surrender my motives, thoughts and actions to the light of the Word, I trust that God will reveal my sin, cutting through all my defenses, and give me the grace and courage to repent.
God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon's scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God's Word. We can't get away from it - no matter what. (4:12-13)

No comments: