Most of these golfers don't know the Lord and only think about winning at their sport, but Paul reminds me again that we're all in a much more important race.
Pursue a righteous life - a life of wonder, faith, love, steadiness, courtesy. Run hard and fast in the faith. Seize the eternal life, the life you were called to, the life you so fervently embraced in the presence of many witnesses (6:11-12)As I've been processing what I watched this weekend and how these men were so devastated by their loss (silly to some people, I know), I surprisingly experienced fresh gratitude for what the Lord has done for me.
Like these golfers, I, too, put much of my identity in my performance. I get down on myself when I can't do the things I 'should' or when don't meet my own high standards and expectations. I don't seize the eternal life, the life I was called to, but instead, I focus on reaching my goals, satisfying my preferences, and bowing down to my idols.
As I was reading this chapter, Paul reminded me why I experienced unexpected gratitude in such an unlikely place:
A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. (6:6)I remembered that I don't have to perform well to be accepted by my Lord. God's love and acceptance of me is based on Jesus, not on whether I win or lose. My Loving Father always delights in me. His love and grace are endless, unconditional, and completely trustworthy.
In the most unexpected way this weekend, I was reminded that life in Christ means I no longer have to strive for acceptance or measure up to any human standard. I only need to trust Christ to walk in faith because I am richly blessed with the simplicity of being myself before God. He loves me just as I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment