Followers

Friday, September 28, 2012

September 28 - 1 Timothy 5: Truth at the Center

I was recently talking with a friend who is translating the pastoral epistles into a tribal language.  He explained that the construction of these letters does not follow the pattern of linear thought that we use:  thesis statement, three points of explanation, conclusion.  Instead, the main point of the letters is contained in the center and everything else circulates around it.  Not circular logic, but placing the truth at the center of the writing.

Knowing this as I read 1 Timothy helps me focus on what's really important - the truth about Christ at the end of chapter 3.   It also corrects years of reading this letter and placing precedence on the wrong parts - the behaviors and qualifications - instead of the central truth that it's all about Jesus.  This may feel like splitting hairs, but I feel like it's a reflection of the larger shift that Christ is doing in me.
He appeared in a human body, was proved right by the invisible Spirit, was seen by angels.
He was proclaimed among all kinds of peoples, believed in all over the world, taken up into heavenly glory.  (3:15-16)
Christ was human, yet still lived in the supernatural realm.  The forgiveness He extends through His death is proclaimed to all people and He now waits in glory for His return.  With those truths in mind, I read chapter 5 about honoring older and younger men and women, caring for widows, honoring church leaders, and correcting those in blatant sin, and it's no longer about how I get it right. I don't need to spend mental, spiritual, and emotional energy questioning how and how much do I really have to relate to, care for and honor needy and difficult people around me, so that I can feel like I obeyed these commands.  Instead, it's about my heart turned toward Christ as I imperfectly persevere in His love.  That's where rest and freedom in Him is found.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That's a powerful and wonderful statement and it mirrors my heart completely. I want to keep my eyes on Him, and IMPERFECTLY PERSEVERE.