Followers

Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24 - 1 Timothy 1: Love Uncontaminated

We are now entering what are called the "pastoral epistles." The previous books we read by Paul were encouragement and instruction to churches. In these next three letters to Timothy and Titus, Paul is "encouraging and guiding the development" of their leadership to be "inconspicuous, not calling attention to itself but not sacrificing anything in the way of conviction and firmness either" (Peterson, Intro. to 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus).

This first chapter flows so well from what Cici wrote about last Friday - speaking truth in love with the Master of Peace giving the gift of getting along in the midst of spiritual community. Paul continues that thought in his exhortation to Timothy, with specific illustrations of what it means to speak the truth in love,
The whole point of what we’re urging is simply love—love uncontaminated by self-interest and counterfeit faith, a life open to God. Those who fail to keep to this point soon wander off into cul-de-sacs of gossip. They set themselves up as experts on religious issues, but haven’t the remotest idea of what they’re holding forth with such imposing eloquence.  (1:5-7)
Paul seems to be saying here that truth spoken in love must be free of anything of self - feelings of hurt, unforgiveness, sleights, condescension, or rightness do not have a place. When these things taint love, Paul describes the results as gossip and "spiritual experts." In these words, I recognize my guilt in ways I have mixed my own agenda with truth.
It’s true that moral guidance and counsel need to be given, but the way you say it and to whom you say it are as important as what you say.... There are some, you know, who by relaxing their grip and thinking anything goes have made a thorough mess of their faith. Hymenaeus and Alexander are two of them. I let them wander off to Satan to be taught a lesson or two about not blaspheming. (1:8, 19-20)
I think Paul is teaching us, from experience, that there is never one blanket principle or method to apply to speaking the truth in love. Not everyone needs to hear what we see as truth.  There's no boilerplate to truth-telling. Our words must be submitted to, formed by and prompted by God and otherwise keep silent. These very practical lessons can seem obvious, but I think of how many times I have spoken out of compulsion or hurt, believing I was doing "right" because I was speaking truth, but really I was just pleasing myself.
Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus... Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.
Paul's underlying requirement of speaking truth in love is that we know we are Public Sinner Number One - that we have grieved the heart of God, missed Him, and chosen ourselves over and over. After that comes the startling, humbling recognition that Christ meets my ugly, devastating sin with grace and love poured over and into me.

This love letter takes the pressure off and provides real edification on this very important role we have to speak truth in love to one another. I've been reading the latest Bonhoeffer biography and came across this last night. A weighty warning to speaking truth without the love that Paul describes,
"It is only the cynic who claims 'to speak the truth' at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth.... He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men.  He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought at the human weakness which 'cannot bear the truth.'"  (Ethics, Bonhoeffer)

No comments: