Followers

Thursday, September 13, 2012

September 13 - 1 Thessalonians 2: God At Work

Harry had an odd conversation with our neighbor "Bob" this week. Bob is a man with a parochial school upbringing but calls himself an atheist. I find it interesting that he often seeks out my husband, whom he knows loves the Lord, and is willing to talk to Harry about spiritual things, although they often disagree.

Outside over the grill, Bob was expressing himself exuberantly, shall we say, about politics and religion. The conversation had to be cut short, due to guests arriving at our home, but the door is open to more discussion of the question "Who does Bob hate more: Mitt Romney or Jesus?"

I was rather surprised when Harry told me about the random conversation, partly because I'm not used to hearing people say they "hate" Jesus. I mean, what's to hate about Jesus? Mercy? Grace? Love?

I've been praying for Bob and his wife, and I thought of them as I read one of Paul's reasons for thanking God for the Thessalonians:
When you got the Message we preached, you didn't pass it off as just one more human opinion, but you took it to heart as God's true word to you, which it is. God himself at work in you believers! (2:13)
What a contrast. Unlike the Thessalonians, our neighbors scoff at our Christian beliefs and reject the basic tenets of the faith he grew up in. They do not believe that God has spoken and think that we're foolish for believing the Bible. [But hey, I'm grateful that they're still willing to engage with us!!]

I know plenty of others who are hardened toward Christ or see Him as irrelevant. The older I get, the more I understand how much of a gift faith is. It is God's Spirit working in a person's heart. It's not me having all of the right answers to questions or objections, or being the perfect Christian. All I can do is pray that God will open the eyes of my unbelieving friends and reveal Himself, as He did so faithfully with the Thessalonians.

No comments: