"Paul's first letter to the Corinthians is a classic of pastoral response: affectionate, firm, clear, and unswerving in the conviction that God among them, revealed in Jesus and present in the Holy Spirit, continued to be the central issue in their lives, regardless of how much of a mess they had made of things." Eugene Peterson, Introduction to 1 Corinthians
In spite of all of the dirt Paul's been told about the Corinthian believers' behavior, he chooses to focus on who they are in Christ and to remind them of what they have in Jesus.
Just think - you don't need a thing, you've got it all! All God's gifts are right in front of you as you wait expectantly for our Master Jesus to arrive on the scene for the Finale. And not only that, but God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped up by Jesus. God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that. (1:7-8)
Everything that we have - right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start - comes from God by way of Jesus Christ. (1:30)
As I wrestle with disappointment in my behavior, in my persistent sin patterns, I'm encouraged by Paul's words to these wayward believers.
"In essence, Paul was saying, "I'm not interested in your accomplishments, and I'm not interested in your sins. I don't want to hear about your successes, nor do I want to hear about your failures. I'll listen to all of that for as long as you want, but what I am interested in is the grace of God that was given to you in Christ Jesus. That's what is special and unique about you. That's what I want to discover, to bring to light, to explore, to nurture, to develop, to mature."
"And that's what God wants to do in us as well. He looks beyond the failures to the grace that was given us in Jesus. And he wants to nurture that grace to maturity." Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1771
Although my tendency is to condemn myself for my failures, God wants me to let go of my sins through confession to Him and others (1 John 1:9, James 5:16), and to turn to His abundant grace. God promises that I have everything I need, through Christ in me, to walk with Him, regardless of circumstances.
And in the midst of my daily struggles, I, too, am clinging to the unswerving conviction that God, revealed in Jesus and present in the Holy Spirit, is the central issue in my life, regardless of the messes that I make. I don't need to make my sin the focus; instead, I must fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith, and trust that He will never give up on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment