Reading the headlines these days is downright depressing. A movie theater massacre in Colorado. A bloody civil war in Syria. Unprecedented NCAA sanctions against Penn State after the Sandusky conviction. The death of Sally Ride from pancreatic cancer. In some ways, it's difficult to maintain hope given the daily onslaught of senseless tragedies in the world.
And closer to home, when I think about the areas in which I'm still struggling with sin, it's hard not to feel some measure of hopelessness as I experience the cycle of defeat over and over and over again.
In a similar way, it must have been depressing for Paul and the Corinthians to face what was going on in their church. After all, Paul had led them to Christ and discipled them. They seemingly "knew better."
Yet in spite of the bad behavior, Paul still chose to close out his long letter full of teaching and correction by bringing it back to the heart of the matter - Jesus and the gospel. This passionate apostle reminds his brothers and sisters in Christ of the hope they have because Jesus was raised from the dead.
It's only when I look away from myself and lift up my eyes to see the beauty of the gospel and all that Christ is and all He's done for me that I remember the truth. Because Christ died and rose again, I can truly live. I can be filled with hope beyond my circumstances. I don't have to wander about, as lost as ever. Praise God!
And closer to home, when I think about the areas in which I'm still struggling with sin, it's hard not to feel some measure of hopelessness as I experience the cycle of defeat over and over and over again.
In a similar way, it must have been depressing for Paul and the Corinthians to face what was going on in their church. After all, Paul had led them to Christ and discipled them. They seemingly "knew better."
Yet in spite of the bad behavior, Paul still chose to close out his long letter full of teaching and correction by bringing it back to the heart of the matter - Jesus and the gospel. This passionate apostle reminds his brothers and sisters in Christ of the hope they have because Jesus was raised from the dead.
And if Christ weren't raised, then all you're doing is wandering about in the dark, as lost as ever...But the truth is that Christ has been raised up, the first in a long legacy of those who are going to leave the cemeteries. (15:17, 20)He brought it back to the really good news. Our Savior went to great lengths to conquer sin and death once and for all. Because He died and rose again, I'm forgiven.
But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three - sin, guilt, death - are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God! ((15:57)As I think about this reality, I realize that it's embarrassingly easy for me to get wrapped up in and sidetracked by the details of my life. I lose sight of the fact that I'm living in an epic story, filled with adventure and danger and purpose and battle.
It's only when I look away from myself and lift up my eyes to see the beauty of the gospel and all that Christ is and all He's done for me that I remember the truth. Because Christ died and rose again, I can truly live. I can be filled with hope beyond my circumstances. I don't have to wander about, as lost as ever. Praise God!
It's resurrection, resurrection, always resurrection, that undergirds what I do and say, the way I live. (15:32)
"Notice that the climax of this letter is resurrection! Without hope that what begins in this life will be brought to completion in the next, Paul would have had no confidence in My story. Without resurrection, belief that a good story is unfolding now is impossible. So is love." 66 LL
1 comment:
You nailed it! Thank you for your comments. I am in the midst of the battle and working so hard with God to pull up the old roots that I believe are impacting my relationships. Thank you for the resurrection reminder.
Lord, you know my heart and I pray that all my parenting mess ups and explosions are filtered by the Holy Spirit in the mind of my children. Let them see You as their Lord and Redeemer. I know You are working on me and I'm living under Your grace Lord for each day. Help me to be a light for You today and not a nag. I know friends...lol...it's true.
Post a Comment