But make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-to-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God. (13:11)
Did Paul write this for moms in particular? I seriously doubt it, but boy, can I relate to this warning!
Especially on nerve-wracking days like today, it's difficult to not get caught up in the moment, exhausted and oblivious to God. Out of habit - and laziness, if I'm honest - I found myself bowing down to my pet idols of control and comfort, just wanting the day to go my way.
And no surprise; it didn't. There was entirely too much whining, fussing, and crying around our house today - for both mother and children. Ugh.
Yet even on the challenging days, my heart aches for what's coming, for the return of Jesus. Thankfully, I know this world is not all there is, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, I don't have to choose to live like it is. I don't have to live absorbed and exhausted in my day-to-day obligations.
Lord, please keep reminding me through Your Word of what's at stake. Thank You for relentlessly pursuing my heart and drawing me back into Your story. Thank You for breaking the power of sin in my life so that I can choose moment-by-moment - on both the difficult and the enjoyable days - to turn from distraction and laziness and to turn back to You, Lord. I want to be awake to what You're doing.
Especially on nerve-wracking days like today, it's difficult to not get caught up in the moment, exhausted and oblivious to God. Out of habit - and laziness, if I'm honest - I found myself bowing down to my pet idols of control and comfort, just wanting the day to go my way.
And no surprise; it didn't. There was entirely too much whining, fussing, and crying around our house today - for both mother and children. Ugh.
Yet even on the challenging days, my heart aches for what's coming, for the return of Jesus. Thankfully, I know this world is not all there is, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, I don't have to choose to live like it is. I don't have to live absorbed and exhausted in my day-to-day obligations.
Lord, please keep reminding me through Your Word of what's at stake. Thank You for relentlessly pursuing my heart and drawing me back into Your story. Thank You for breaking the power of sin in my life so that I can choose moment-by-moment - on both the difficult and the enjoyable days - to turn from distraction and laziness and to turn back to You, Lord. I want to be awake to what You're doing.
The night is about over, dawn is about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing!...Get out of bed and get dressed! Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about! (13:12-14)
No comments:
Post a Comment