Followers

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May 30 - Acts 19: Quite Out of the Ordinary

God did powerful things through Paul, things quite out of the ordinary...In such ways it became evident that the Word of the Master was now sovereign and prevailed in Ephesus. (19:11, 20)
Lots of incredible, humanly unexplainable things happened while Paul was in Ephesus giving everyone ample opportunity to hear the Message of the Master. (19:10) People were healed by merely touching anything that had touched Paul's skin. (19:12) An evil spirit in a possessed man spoke of knowing both Jesus and Paul. (19:15) Believers came out of the closet and repented of their secret sins. (19:18) Witches and warlocks made an expensive bonfire with their books of spells and incantations. (19:19)

Crazy times in Ephesus! News spread all over the city, to both Jews and Greeks, and the name of Jesus was lifted high.
The realization spread that God was in and behind this. Curiosity about Paul developed into reverence for the Master Jesus. (19:17) 
As I ponder these verses, I'm left wondering what in my ordinary little life gives evidence of my God who is quite out of the ordinary. What curious things about my life cause others to develop reverence for the Master Jesus? I don't know.

I remember a time in my life when I had to trust Jesus for everything - a place to live, money to live on, people to minister to, EVERYTHING - and a new believer friend of mine commented that God always seemed to come through for me in ways He didn't for other people. It was wild to see all that God did for me, but I knew that it was because I finally removed all that had been propping me up. I had nothing else to rely on but Jesus. But I confess it's been years since I've lived like that.

It's compelling to read Acts and see how Paul consistently lived all out for the Lord. People around him in Ephesus took notice and repented of their sin. Lives were transformed. Jesus' name was honored because of how Paul lived.

Lord, that's how I want to be. May my friends and acquaintances have reverence for You because of how I live. Give me the courage to live a life quite out of the ordinary for You, Lord. Fill me with faith to whole-heartedly believe You for anything and everything. Allow my life to be compelling evidence of Your sovereignty and power, and like Paul, may others' lives be transformed because of who You are in my life.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Challenging thoughts, Cici. Does my ordinary life provide evidence of the Holy Spirit inside me? (v. 2) Asking myself this today as I encounter the hair stylist, waiter, bus driver, my kids, countless email responses, neighbor, ...