Followers

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April 11 - John 5: Not a Solitary Thing

So Jesus explained himself at length. 'I'm telling you this straight.  The Son can't independently do a thing, only what he sees the Father doing.  What the Father does, the Son does.  The Father loves the Son and includes him in everything he is doing.'  (John 5:19-20)
' I can't do a solitary thing on my own; I listen, then I decide.  You can trust my decision because I'm not out to get my own way but only to carry out orders.'  (John 5:30)
Jesus' words strike me as odd.  The Savior of the World, the Risen Son, the Messiah declares that He can't do anything on His own.   He's not letting any of this "Son of God" title go to His head.  No selfish ambition, no glory hogging.   His life is characterized by complete submission to the Father, giving of Himself in the utmost way possible.  He's displaying what He created us for - "to worship and live for God's glory, not our own" (Keller).
"In self-giving, if anywhere, we touch a rhythm not only of all creation but of all being. For the Eternal Word also gives Himself in sacrifice; and that not only on Calvary. For when He was crucified He ‘did that in the wild weather of His outlying provinces which He had done at home in glory and gladness.’ From before the foundation of the world He surrenders begotten Deity [the Son] back to begetting Deity [the Father] in obedience. And as the Son glorifies the Father, so also the Father glorifies the Son…There is joy in the dance, but it does not exist for the sake of joy. It does not even exist for the sake of good, or of love. It is Love Himself, and Good Himself, and therefore happy. It does not exist for us, but we for it.” (C.S. Lewis,  The Problem of Pain)
The last sentence of this quote hits the target that I'm missing.  In the recesses of my heart, I submit because I believe it's the right thing to do.   It's obedience and I don't want to get caught doing otherwise.  I don't want to disappoint.  In truth, I'm submitting for my own sake and the results I hope it will bring.  Jesus, on the other hand, knew that He was living on earth not for Himself but for His Father.  He wasn't submitted to a plan or a title or even knowing that He only had to endure for awhile and then it would all be over.  He was surrendered to Love Himself, Good Himself, His Papa.

No comments: