Jesus' response to the woman with a hemorrhage is so opposite what I experienced from my dad. In the middle of the bustling crowd, the noise, the pushing and jostling, Jesus stopped. He listened.
The woman knowing what had happened, knowing that she was the one, stepped up in fear and trembling, knelt before him, and gave him the whole story. (5:32-33)I'm amazed at this woman's courage to share her whole story, not just the thirty second version. I'm also a little flabbergasted at her presumption that Jesus would be interested in hearing the details of her medical history. I cannot even imagine sharing that kind of information with someone I don't know, especially in the midst of a chaotic situation. But, thankfully, Jesus felt differently,
Jesus said to her, 'Daughter, you took a risk of faith, and now you're healed and whole. Live well, live blessed! Be healed of your plague! (5:34)That's my Jesus. That's my Daddy. That's the Lover of My Soul. He says to me, "Come, in the midst of the craziness, and tell Me all about it. Tell Me the whole story."
4 comments:
Love that, Staci :) Reminder that He cares and wants to listen and hear us go to Him even though He already knows everything inside and out. Hidden and public.
Moved by the demon possessed man who asks Jesus, "What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?" He sees Jesus as powerful and great but still wonders what in the world He could want with him. Jesus just wanted to free him. Then he was so thankful that he just wanted to be with Jesus. That he might be with him, but Jesus said no and to go home and tell people what the Lord has done for him. Then.. everyone marveled.
I need to meditate on how Jesus freed me from slavery and beg Jesus to be with him out of gratefulness then obey His command and privilege to go home and tell others about what He's done for me. And let them marvel and come to know Him too! loving being in Mark.
"the whole story"... there's a sense of freedom in that, isn't there? I'm glad you focused on this part Staci.
The idea of Jesus wanting to hear the details, the parts that I think are important and pertinent, the moments that stick to my brain, that's powerful. That communicates love, kindness, tender involvement. It says "I love you," without using those particular words.
So interesting to me to see how different parts of the text hit each of us. I skipped right over that part. I didn't see it. But what stood out to me was, "live well, live blessed, you took a risk of faith". For me, I thought, how hard it is to step out of my comfort zone into the realm of faith. And I read how Jesus responds and it comforts me. He deviated from his mission to head to Jarius' home so he could find this woman so he could affirm and encourage her. He loved on her. I love this. Lord, help me to do the same to those around me.
Like someone said previously, I love how different parts of God's word speak to us. His word is truly living and active!
For me, the story of the demon-possessed man really spoke to me today:
The demons begged him, "Send us to the pigs so we can live in them." Jesus gave the order. But it was even worse for the pigs than for the man. Crazed, they stampeded over a cliff into the sea and drowned."
I am reminded of the reality of evil in this story. When the demons are let loose, they bring death and destruction. Satan's ultimate purpose is to steal, kill and destroy.
So often I forget the reality of evil. I forget the ugliness of it. But that is not to say I should fear it, but be prayerful, be aware of it all around me.
Lord Jesus, I pray that I would cling to You, my Protector and my Redeemer, and remember to pray against evil in my home, my family, my relationships, my heart, and my mind.
Thank You Jesus, that you are Light, and with You, there is no darkness!
Post a Comment