Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January 18 - Matthew 13: Anything You Need

My soul has felt needy lately.  Needing freedom from fear, restoration from weariness, encouragement to counter the discouragement.  It's been one of those seasons where any sense of wellness and wholeness is momentary and then gone.  It's not because of one large, looming circumstance, but seems to be the cumulation of many smaller life issues that are pressing in.  I read today's passage and wonder, am I listening?  Really listening to what God is trying to say to my soul?
God's kingdom is like a treasure... God's kingdom is like a...excellent pearl.... God's kingdom is like...catching all kinds of fish.  (13:44-47)
"God is in control.  Of what?  Of seeing to it that nothing thwarts His plan for His people.  What is that plan?  To give us a Better Life now, as we define it?  No.  It's to reveal Himself as the greatest treasure the human heart could ever imagine, to draw people into a relationship with Him that utterly delights their souls."  (Crabb, The Pressure's Off)
I don't live like that most of the time - I don't live like I have the greatest treasure ever imagined living inside me, walking every moment with me, knowing me intimately and pouring His grace all over my life.  I live like I'm missing out on something and like I need others to come through for me in order to experience this utter delight.  In this ugly demandingness of my soul, I'm beginning to hear Jesus whisper,
...every student well-trained in God's kingdom is like the owner of a general store who can get his hands on anything you need, old or new, exactly when you need it.   (13:52)
"What then is our greatest need?  We need...
  • radical forgiveness that makes it possible for unholy people to come near to a holy God and live.
  • supernatural love that empowers naturally selfish people to care more about someone else other than themselves, thus revealing God;
  • spiritual might that actually changes bad people into good people, not good merely by society's standards - we have plenty of folks like that - but good like God, good enough to value ultimate goodness."  (Crabb, The Pressure's Off)
I'm standing in the general store demanding things that aren't there because they're not good, not needed.  He is in control and He has given me all that I need.  He keeps asking me and showing me and wooing me to all that He is: the great treasure of forgiveness, love and might.  His question, if I'm listening, is will I continue to be the complaining brat or will I be one of the "ripe, holy lives...mature and adorn[ing] the kingdom of their Father?" (13:43)

1 comment:

Sarah Evers said...

Ooh. Good words Staci. Challenging to think about my attitude and my demands. "My, my, mine."

I love the parable of the 4 soils. It's interesting to me that of the four soils, two are fruitful: the thorny soil and the good soil. Where thorns grow up, so should/could good seed. But the weeds and thorns have taken over and they strangle and crowd out the good seed.

I think about that and I wonder what kind of soil am I cultivating? Am I investing/cultivating a "good soil" heart or a "thorny soil" heart? What am I planting, nourishing? Am I taking time to weed the soil (confess my sin, invite community and LIGHT into the dark places of my life to illumine the secret sins)?

(and it was SOO good to see you last night Staci. What a treat!)