Followers

Thursday, January 12, 2012

January 12 - Matthew 9: Grasper to Giver

Jesus says this is the Kingdom Come.  In this chapter, the downtrodden, discarded, possessed, young, ill, and crooked are all shown mercy in Jesus' presence.  They are healed, elevated, loved.  Matthew is one of them - called out of the corruption of tax-collecting to be a Christ-follower. 

I find it hard to identify with Matthew 9.  I'm one of the broken, but I don't have a chapter like this in my life where all is well and everyone around me is well.  I haven't had an experience where everyone's faith is met with immediate healing. The heartaches seem to never end, the brokenness overwhelms and sin abounds in myself and in those around me.  I identify with Crabb's words below and I'm trying to live in the truth he reveals:
Jesus told them, "... This is Kingdom Come!"  (9:15)
"What does it mean to say the kingdom of heaven is near?  If the party's already underway, I don't see it.  What difference has Your Son made?  Oncologists are still busy.  Divorce lawyers have plenty of clients.  John the Baptist was killed.  And I still have bad headaches even though lots of friends are praying that the headaches will go away.  Maybe I should know better, but somewhere down deep, I guess, I've always thought the good news was that heaven is coming up, that I'd dance then.  And for now, I'm supposed to hang in there through hard times and live the way You want me to.  And I've assumed I could expect a fair number of blessings to be thrown in - maybe an abundance if I have enough faith..."
"[God says]  The center of the good news is that you can know My Son and by My Spirit enter into the relationships My Son and I enjoy.  That news has the power to transform you ... from grasping life for your sake to losing your life for My sake.  Any time with prioritized energy you do anything designed to fill your emptiness or to protect yourself from more rejection you are serving the wrong kingdom.  But you are now empowered to serve My kingdom, to relate as We relate within the Trinity.  That's the dance, the dance you can enjoy in measure now and will fully enjoy forever, when My Son returns and heaven's kingdom fills the earth.  That's the good news...
"If My Spirit can change Matthew from a tax collector who lived only for his own advantage into a follower of My Son, then He can change [you] from an empty grasper into a much-loved giver."  (66LL)
My response to Matthew 9 reveals a lot about my heart - I'm grasping for immediate relief from unpleasant feelings and for protection from my fears becoming realities.  Father, You see this ugliness in me, but Your presence meets me, loves me.  I'm overwhelmed with Your patience with my wrong kingdom living and your sustained wooing of me into Your Kingdom.

4 comments:

Amanda McKinley said...

Challenging thoughts, Staci. How often am I a "grasper" instead of a "giver"?

The following verses struck me in a new way in relation to that theme:

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." (Matthew 9:36-38 ESV)

But in order to be a part of the Lord's harvest and a be an effective "laborer"...I am reminded that we must fully understand the truth of the previous verses in this chapter:

"But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

Lord, remind me that in order to be an effective "laborer" in your harvest, I have to fully grasp the depth of my "sickness" - that I need YOU, the great Physician, just as much as my neighbor, my family member, the random stranger, etc. needs you. We are all sick and need the Great Physician. Only by grasping that truth can we then turn around and do effective ministry in your strength

Amanda McKinley said...

I just came across this blog post that seems to go along with the theme of being a "giver" wherever you are...enjoy!

http://time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/2012/01/who-needs-him-most.html

laurali99 said...

I was struck by the number of people who Jesus gave healing and time to in this chapter. It made me think about his statement about having the authority to forgive sins demonstrated by his healing power and his question "do you believe I am able to do this?" Oh Jesus, help us to believe that you are able and fill us with your mercy for others!

Della Perry said...

Thank you for that blog, Amanda. I really needed to read that.