So if you find life difficult because you're doing what God said, take it in stride. Trust him. He knows what he's doing, and he'll keep on doing it. (4:19)
Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner. (4:12-13)That was hope to my trouble spirit. There was a good purpose and great company in my early experiences of sickness, death, aloneness, and inappropriate responsibilities for my age. And I knew that my sufferings were nothing compared to Christ's, but still they were mine. At times in my life, the effects of these have overwhelmed me and I've wanted to blame others for the burden of these memories. Then God's words through Peter would step in,
This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step-by-step. He never did one thing wrong, not once said anything amiss....
He suffered in silence, content to let God set things right. He used his servant body to carry our sins to the Cross so we could be rid of sin, free to live the right way. His wounds became your healing. (2:21-24)In the process of pushing through my hurts, the allure of healing became large. Healing from the constant, deep-down ache. Relief from the thoughts and images. Release from the overwhelming, emotional burdens I felt responsible for in others. I went to counseling looking for this kind of healing, believing that this is what God meant when He wrote these verses. Seeking this kind of freedom from the suffering caused even greater disappointment and ache. Though Christ put me on the journey to find Him in the suffering, no counselor was able to fully enter in, no friend could really understand, my husband couldn't satisfy those deep longings. I knew something was missing. Usually feeling like I was too shattered inside to put back together and often feeling that it was the ineptness or lack of real care of others. A seesaw of blame.
In the last few years, through a new season and a new kind of suffering, God is revealing more through Peter and his call to suffering,
"And I want you to understand the healing I provide through My Son's wounds....
"Coming home to Me is the first thing. I will heal every obstacle to your finding your way home. Listen to My words: 'by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls' (2:24-25). I heal waywardness, not difficulties. I make the journey possible, not easy....
"Understand that because My Son's wounds have healed you from everything that stands in the way of finding your way back home to Me, you can now expect that I will restore you, that I will mend your soul..." (66LL)Thank You Father for Your relentless pursuit of me, when I run from You, when I want release from suffering, when I feel my own pain as larger than Yours. I want to want the kind of healing You offer more than healing from difficulties. I'm so grateful that You chose to endure suffering for me and You didn't run away from the pain that bought my freedom.
4 comments:
Amen! Beautiful and tender, Staci. Thank you for sharing a personal glimpse into your experience with pain and suffering and your longing for real healing.
Since the child abuse scandal broke at Penn State a few weeks ago, I've been struck by the phrase penned by a friend, "a deficiency of love." He wrote, then spoke those words to Penn State students using the parable of the Good Samaritan to explain how each of us fails to love our "neighbor" fully, completely, and well.
So with this awakening to my "love deficiency" 1Peter 1.22f stood out to me:
Now that you've cleaned up your lives by following the truth, love one another as if your lives depended upon it. Your new life is not like your old life.
What would it look like if I really loved people? Not just when it was convenient to me, not only when I felt like, or the people would respond as I think they should? As I look for gifts and walk through crowded stores, can I love the people shoving and rushing around as though my life depended upon it? When I see my extended family and I tire of their complaints or the familiar family baggage, can I press on and love them as though my life depended upon it? Even when I feel like acting like a child, can I love my family as though... You know. As if my life depends upon it.
I'm not sure I've really loved people that intensely or that thoroughly. I've served sacrificially, I've served as evidence of my love. But to love as though my life depended upon it? Hm. I'm not sure. But there is something rich to ponder today.
I needed to hear this today, from both Staci and Sarah!
It helps me understand you more, Staci, and to appreciate all I experience of you. And as I'm currently with extended family, I needed your perspective, Sarah, on my huge deficiency of love.
Lots to think about in terms of loving others as if my life depended on it and plenty of opportunity to act on it in the power of the Spirit. My flesh has been very weak in the midst of all the family dynamics. :-(
Stac, how beautiful! Thank you for sharing from deep within. When you wrote Larry's words: "I heal waywardness not difficulties; I make it possible not easy." I just lost it there and will hold your post with me for a long time. HE has so done that for you! His wounds became your healing. You had no idea who you were or where you were going. So sweet that he reached your tender teen heart---thinking about your own teens. He's been pursuing you for a long time---not that you're that old! Now you're named and kept for good by the Shepherd & Overseer of your soul. You have a Great Counselor in midst of abandonment and horror and death at such a tender age. What you faced in your childhood most people don't face in a lifetime. Look at what God has done in you and then through you. Oh my! Your life serves us. And life is about service not recognition. And you are free or you wouldn't be able to even utter it. Free to let go of the difficulties that hover ... and embrace a Good God. It's a Beautiful God in you! Psalm 50:2
PS - I made it to Dallas a day late...I woke up this morning to an empty Christmas apartment. Everybody's gone...I have no car for last minute shopping...home alone for Christmas Eve eve. I'm actually laughing---I worked so hard to get here --- to this empty apartment. This trip has really been hysterical---I didn't know I wasn't suppose to open the trunk of my car on a hill. I have too much time on my hands leaving this comment ;) ~~~~ Home Alone but I'm in Dallas
Post a Comment