I experienced my own version of the prosperity gospel today when I felt disappointment at always having to choose the cheaper gifts for my family - not the things that would make them squeal, but the things that will be "fine." My heart feels entitled to giving the best gifts now. I'm not asking for them every Christmas, but at least one?!? Then, I flip to my version of the poverty gospel and become very proud in my budget-conscious gift-giving decisions and to not join in on the commercialism that takes away from the "Reason for the season." I'm sure God is honored that I celebrate the immense generosity of sending His Son to earth by being cheap. Oh, my duplicitous heart!
Paul illustrates the truth of suffering and blessing so well in his life and through his writings. He obviously endured suffering and didn't hesitate to make it clear that following Christ means to join in His sufferings.
Take your share of suffering for the Message along with the rest of us. We can only keep on going, after all, by the power of God, who first saved us and then called us to this holy work. We had nothing to do with it. It was all his idea. (1:8-9)
Anyone who wants to live all out for Christ is in for a lot of trouble; there's no getting around it. (3:12)
...keep your eye on what you're doing; accept the hard times along with the good... (4:5)Paul also made it clear that our lives now are a precious gift that is truly understood only in light of this suffering.
...a gift prepared for us in Jesus long before we knew anything about it. But we know it now. Since the appearance of our Savior, nothing could be plainer; death defeated, life vindicated in a steady blaze of light, all through the work of Jesus. (1:9-10)
Guard this precious thing placed in your custody by the Holy Spirit who works in us. (1:14)
This is the only race worth running. I've run hard right to the finish, believed all the way. All that's left now is the shouting - God's applause! (4:7-8)Sometimes I catch myself in an all-or-nothing mentality - prosperity or poverty, blessings or curses, enjoyment or deprivation. Both theologies are incomplete. Both are wrong. I know when my thoughts tend to one extreme or the other that I've taken my eyes off the One who generously gives the strength to endure the suffering and who generously provides enjoyment in this life. In the midst of my ditch-jumping, I hear God calling to me,
"I am for you. My son is with you. My Spirit is in you. Never forget that as you hear My instructions. My instructions are always an invitation to life.
"The life I want you to live now is a life both to endure and enjoy. At times, such strong endurance will be required that joy will seem a far-off hope, a lost experience. But without endurance, you will know little of the very real joy I provide. With endurance, a joy will develop that frees you to appreciate the pleasures of life's blessings without requiring from them a satisfaction they cannot provide. And that same joy, more deeply felt as a longing whose complete satisfaction is guaranteed, frees you to endure whatever hardships lie ahead without indulging your still-alive spirit of entitlement by justifying illegitimate relief.
"The eternal life I give you can be enjoyed now to the degree you endure the hardships of fighting the good fight." (66LL)
1 comment:
Oh, how I relate to that "duplicitous heart" as you put it, Staci.
It's funny...why is the Christmas season always the time when I experience the LEAST joy and seem the LEAST Christ-like?
I find myself rushing about, running last minute errands with my two little ones in the backseat fussing away and I am angry, irritable and annoyed. I want to cuss, shout, scream, and punch something. All because I am stressed out about this darn cultural pressure to buy Christmas gifts for people I love...when all I end up doing is spending way too much money on things I am not even sure if people will like or use. (I'm not a gifts person, if you couldn't tell).
But reading from 2 Timothy today, these verses spoke to me:
So, my son, throw yourself into this work for Christ. Concentrate on doing your best for God, work you won't be ashamed of, laying out the truth plain and simple. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing. Run away from infantile indulgence. Run after mature righteousness-faith, love, peace-joining those who are in honest and serious prayer before God. God's servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keeps cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey."
Lord Jesus, during this time of CHRISTmas, help me to throw myself into this work for Christ, running away from infantile indulgence, and running towards mature righteousness. Help me, even with my own children, not be argumentative (have you ever tried to reason with a screaming 2 year old?), but instead, be a gentle listener (be empathetic first, even if a consequence needs to be given) and a mom who KEEPS COOL, working firmly, but patiently with those who refuse to obey (my own children!!!). Oh Jesus, I need your help to do this!!!
Post a Comment