Followers

Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 11 - Philippians 1-4: Thirsty and Grateful? Not So Much

I read through Philippians amazed by Paul's joy and exuberance despite his circumstances. Living in prison certainly didn't dampen his spirit or His desire to proclaim the gospel. Paul's an incredible example, and I am a terrible imitator. Joy is not what those close to me would say characterizes my life.

As I reflect on the just past 24 hours, I can think of countless times where my circumstances have directly impacted my attitude and outlook. I've been easily annoyed by others, offended by inappropriate demands made on me and my time, discouraged by people who are stuck spiritually, and irritated by wrong assumptions made about me.

And in recognizing how far short I've fallen, my next thought was, "What am I supposed to do with this book??" That question was reverberating around my brain as I picked up the chapter in 66 Love Letters. I almost laughed out loud as that very question was answered:
"You said you want to know what to do with what I'm about to say. Your desire to manage My message is a problem. Before you ask what you can do with what I tell you - the question breeds both pressure and pride - I want you to sit with My words. Let them lift you into the realm of unmanageable mystery, of impossible possibilities. Then listen both with a humble mind that desperately trusts that nothing is impossible with Me and with an open heart, a willingness to hope for what you can never pull off on your own."
Busted! My natural tendency is to want to do something, yet God is asking me to just sit with His words and to listen with a humble mind and an open heart.

I realize that this time of year, with all of the demands and expectations (many self-inflicted), brings out the worst in me. I become the Energizer Bunny, often letting the outward, temporal things consume my time and thoughts. I don't set out to be that way nor do I want to be that way, but my circumstances seem to bring that out very quickly in me. Joy is generally not what I feel during the holiday season.
"Here's My message to you in this letter:
The joy I offer grows in the soil of emptiness and brokenness. In My Spirit's hands, your felt emptiness will become a consuming thirst to know My Son. Your agonizing brokenness over the ongoing corruption in your soul will transform into overwhelming gratitude for My Son's forgiveness. It is empty and broken people who at the same time are thirsty and grateful who discover the power to live in ways they never thought possible....
Another problems stands in the way: you feel more often empty than broken. Be open to My Spirit. He intends to use your emptiness to reveal the corruption of your proud demand for fullness. That demand justifies your refusal to love others until you feel loved yourself. When your emptiness reveals your spirit of entitlement, that void will become a space within you that longs for My Son on His terms. And brokenness over your demand for satisfaction on your terms will slowly be changed into liberating gratitude for what you will see more clearly as amazing grace...
To be content does not mean to feel content but rather to know that in My Son you have everything you need to live in rhythm with My Spirit in any circumstance of life [4:12-13]. In emptiness and brokenness changed by My Spirit into thirst and gratitude, you are able to complete, reveal, and delight My Son. Nothing you do brings Me more pleasure and you more joy - joy that exists deep within you as a sustaining reality." 66 LL
O Lord, I have so much to learn from You! Help me to sit with Your words with a humble mind and an open heart. Teach me to rest in You and to be content in whatever circumstances I'm in. I pray You'll turn my emptiness and brokenness into thirst and gratitude

1 comment:

Christina said...

When I read the beginning introduction in the message and read that this is Paul's happiest letter and the happiness is infectious, I couldn't wait to read the MSG version.

And the encouragement and joy in it is so what i needed to hear. And the chapter in 66 LL about it was so real and personal. It's amazing how these 2 books are easily becoming my favorite. They focus on the most important things in my life, God's Word and getting to know God more relationally and personally! I so desire to just sit in here in Phillipians a little while longer. Especially encouraged at how I can really truly agree with Phil 3:7-9 Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant- dog dung. I've dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by Him.

I feel like it is so hard to do this on our own- to give up all things for Him. So I'm thankful to be in a place at this time where I feel like one step out of faith has led me to give up so much. I think this is God's plan too. As we step out in faith, He helps us to see we need Him at our center. If we're safe and don't step out in faith to follow Him, we end up on the easy dead-end street not experiencing God or living for Him.

Praying for my emptiness to change to thirstiness and my brokenness to change to gratefulness for His grace! Thank You Jesus. Thankful to Paul for this letter and following Jesus with all his life and heart and helping to lead the way! Lord, Fill me with Joy because being in community with Your Spirit is all i need to live for You in any circumstance. And Your plan continues on... It's all about You Jesus. All 66 Letters.