Followers

Saturday, December 10, 2011

December 10 - Ephesians 4-6: Fight to the Finish

My first thought was that I would never blog about Ephesians 6 - too familiar, too Sunday School-ish, too much cutesy marketing around the weapons of our warfare.  Recently, I have avoided any studies on this passage, fearing my reaction to the cliches and to the appeal to pray on the armor everyday.  It's ugly I know, but I find myself resisting and pushing back on the VBS-type teaching of these Scriptures.

Coming into this reading, I knew I needed God's eyes to see what He was really saying.  I needed more than the imagery of a someone dressed in a soldier costume.  And God delivered - I woke with thoughts of financial worry on my brain; then in my snippy mood, I entered into a disagreeable conversation with my husband.  I didn't need a new attitude or to pray on the armor to feel better.  That wasn't what God wanted from me this morning.  He wanted me to recognize the fight in my spirit that goes on every day - seek intimacy with Him or seek better life management.
Be prepared.  You're up against far more than you can handle on your own.  Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet.  Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words.  Learn how to apply them.  You'll need them throughout your life.  God's Word is an indispensable weapon.  In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare.  Pray hard and long. (6:13-17)
"... expect opposition.  My enemy will stand against you at every turn.  You are no match for him.  But My Spirit is in you.  My enemy is no match for Him.
  • Wear the belt of truthWhat My spirit tells you will help you oppose your opposer.
  • Put on the breastplate of righteousness.  Resolve to fight every trace of self-centeredness within you.
  • Identify the peace the gospel provides.  I will never condemn you, you are at peace with Me.  You can rest as I rest; My peace is in you.  Think of that peace as a pair of shoes you can wear to keep running the race in the face of all opposition.
  • Hold on to the shield of faithKnow that I am who I AM, that My plan is on course, that you are My child, and that one day you will be fully formed like My Son.
  • Keep the helmet of salvation on your head.  Keep hope alive.  No matter what happens, no matter how you fail, all shall be well and (as Julian of Norwich hear Me say) all manner of things shall be well.
  • Never stop reading My letters.  My word is My Spirit's sword.  Use it to fight evil, first in you, then around you.
  • Learn to pray.  Pray in My Spirit, on all occasions, with all kinds of prayers and requests, for everyone you know, especially those who suffer for My sake."  (66LL)
Father, thank You for this grown-up, real-life, real-time word.  I can't handle this life and I desperately need You and all that You supply.

3 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

What stirs in you is a beautiful thing. When the Bible says in Eph 4:2-4: I want you get out there and walk---better yet, run---on the road God called you to travel, something stirs inside to get out and do it. How do I quiet works righteousness in me?
Discern what's more wrong in me than in any person, any church. John was weary dead on Patmos and God raised him up. The white hot Living One.
Descend into the Deep Darkness in my soul. Scripture interprets Scripture. Don't profane that verse, Bev, but live in this moment. "No man knows how bad he is until he has tried very hard to be good." (CSL) The Julian quote meant a great deal to me this week as I faced cancer once again. All manner is well with my soul and body. Prognosis: Good. Results: Unavailable.
Discover His Power for this moment.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Pssst. I literally just received a letter from my surgeon who disagrees with the radiologist and oncologist. She wants me to go through the scans again. All that to say, would you pray for me that the fears within would be surrendered to our God Good who trumps all of our issues. As Julian alludes, the health of our soul trumps the health of our body.

Christina said...

I'll pray for you now Bev! In light of Ephesians, Lord, I pray that You would be Bev's everything in this time of uncertainty and that her fears would be surrendered completely to You- our sovereign loving God who cares so much for her and has a plan for her every detail of life. I pray that You would strengthen her by Your Spirit- not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength. That You would comfort her and be her everything with all of Your extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Would you clear Bev's scans and give her confidence to live this full life for You as You lead her? Would You plant her feet firmly with You and show her that You can do anything Lord- far more than Bev would ever dream or imagine. Would you show her more and more as Paul understands that to live is Christ and to die is gain. I lift her up to You Lord, our dear sister fighting to the finish with us all :) Draw her closer to You today and to know Your immeasurable love more deeply. Thanks for Bev. In Jesus name, Amen.

What sticks out to me in Ephesians is just the encouragement and peace that comes with knowing that God is the one who chose to make this plan to save us. Because of His immense mercy and His love. He didn't have to. But He did.

We're made new but still in this same world. BUT now we're living to know Him and make Him known. I want to do this all my life with all my life. I pray that in this fight, I would be strengthened by Him and the Word. God is strong and He wants us to be strong. I'm saddened by how easy it is to not want to seek intimacy with Him, how easy I forget and how easy this world around us, even those who know Him, forget too. God, revive our hearts to follow hard after You and trust You with all You've given us. Give us strength to fight this good fight and win through Your spirit at work in us! as you have overcome the world!

p.s. yay for continuing to study together in the next year! cant wait to hear what God leads you both to do together! and hope to get to be apart of it too! :) thanks for serving Dad and following after Him with all your hearts.