I can totally relate to what Larry Crabb wrote:
"But when I read 1 Corinthians, I realize that the apostle Paul, the greatest Christian in the history of the church, pastored the church in Corinth for eighteen months, and not much happened. And that makes lose confidence in Your guarantee that I'll change. I mean, if Paul couldn't get through to the Corinthians, who's going to get through to me?" 66 LLYet Paul doesn't give up on the quarrelsome Corinthians. He dives right into their relational mess and reminds them of who God is, who they are, who God has made them.
God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that. (1:9)
Everything that we have - right thinking and right living, a clean slate, and a fresh start - comes from God by way of Jesus Christ. (1:31)
Everything is already yours as a gift - Paul, Apollos, Peter, the world, life, death, the present, the future - all of it is yours, and you are privileged to be in union with Christ, who is in union with God. (2:22-23)Paul doesn't seem to lose heart or to condemn the Corinthians for their behavior. He raises their sights above their circumstances. He calls them to a better way to relate, a better way to live - all through the power of God's Spirit, not by behaving better. He reminded them of the Gospel, which is exactly what I needed to hear as well.
"Every word in this letter highlights the plot of My story, My call to community, My vision of others-centered relating, and My plan for your spiritual formation - My power to place within you the desire to love and to release that love in the worst of circumstances, in the most hopeless of conditions, and in the most most painful relationships...
[Here's] what I'm now saying to you as you struggle with your confidence in Me:
Turn away from haughtiness, the wisdom of this world, and a spirit of entitlement that blocks love and causes division (chapters 1-4). Thanks to My Son and My Spirit, you can do better." 66 LLI know in lots of ways I'm as immature as these Corinthian believers. It's discouraging how much I need to be reminded of who God is and who I am in Christ. I fall back into old sin patterns so quickly; often, I'm in a relational ditch before I even realize what's happened. And then I pile on all these high expectations of myself, and I get so mad at myself when I inevitably fail.
The change I bring about comes slowly. The more you attempt to hold on to your confidence in the goodness of the story I am telling while at the same time acknowledging all that is bewildering and maddening and shatteringly disappointing in this life, the more you will be confronted with the ongoing moment of decision, to trust or not to trust." 66 LL
God's Way is not a matter of mere talk; it's an empowered life. (4:20)Lord, give me the desire and the courage to embrace Your empowered life. Keep reminding me that everything I am and everything I have are sheer gifts from You. Thank You, Father, for the clean slate, the fresh start, and the right thinking and living, You've given me in Christ. May I embrace that today and not live in discouragement and disappointment because of my repeated failures. May I trust that You are changing Me even when I can't see it. May the gospel penetrate my heart and mind so I truly experience the mind-blowing Good News of Jesus this day.
1 comment:
Amen sister! I find my sin pattern at it's worst with my husband. I plan to spend some time in prayer over it now. I needed a guard on my mouth! Love the journals you publish and your openness.
Post a Comment