Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do... Remember they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently. (14:1)
That's exactly what Jesus did. He didn't make it easy for himself by avoiding people's troubles, but waded right in and helped out. (15:3)I enjoy being with people who have read the same books I've read, who come from similar ministries as I do, who understand my terminology, and "get it." It takes work and effort to be around believers with histories I don't relate to and who see some things differently than I do.
A couple of these current relationships make me uncomfortable...in a good way. They are challenging me to recognize and expand the box I have God in. I'm learning to relax and allow God to do His work in others who are earnestly seeking Him in ways that differ from my own.
If there are corrections to be made or manners to be learned, God can handle that without your help. (14:4)Here's what I think I hear God saying to me in this passage: As fellow Christ followers, stumbling to understand My grace and redemption being worked out in your lives, know that each maturing process looks different just as each of your gifts and histories are different. Let me be the parent. You just be Staci. "You've got your hands full just taking care of your own life before God." (14:12)
It's interesting how that frees me up to wade into the mire of others' lives with love instead of with hidden demands that they act according to my experience.
************************************************
It's difficult to leave Romans. This book that I'd dreaded as a dry read has fed my soul greatly. As Paul ends this letter with a great encouragement, so we move on to another letter with greater focus.All our praise is focused through Jesus on this incomparably wise God! (16:27)What wisdom is God impressing on your heart as we leave His letter to the church at Rome!
1 comment:
I'm also thankful because it has fed my soul greatly too!
After finishing Romans, I've just been encouraged to love God freely. To not be tied down. And to really be able to give Him my life (12.1) and offer it up. And this means to Him and to others. This is changing the way I go about and the urgency in pouring into others that God's given me in my life now. Encouraged by God's unfailing inseparable love for me, seeing God more clearly, trusting Him in all things- hard or easy. And embracing it and Him. I needed this message.
Post a Comment