"If you miss everything in this letter but one thing, don't miss this: My Son wished forward. Seven times I had Luke record that He prayed, using the word proseuchomai, which means 'to wish forward.' That is the core of human maturity in this life. My Son had no greater desire than to carry out His part in My plan. That is the center of spiritual formation, not more energy, not feeling more upbeat, but a clear awareness of the deepest truly human desire, a desire that releases resolve, an unflinching determination to follow the lead of My Son in bringing heaven's kingdom to earth, a longing to love." 66 LLFor the third time in the gospels, we're watching the unfolding of the "dark night, a dark hour." (22:53) In my flesh, I don't understand how Jesus would willingly subject Himself to the unbearable agony He knew was coming.
I see Him on His way to Jerusalem, ministering to others, loving the unlovable, and warning His disciples of what is to come. It's too much to take in sometimes. On the way to His death, He was completely selfless, concerned about everyone else. I honestly don't know how to process that truth.
"A perfectly mature person has confidence in the goodness of My plan and knows no greater desire than to move it ahead. Get a vision of what defined My Son as a human being. (Reflect on the [seven] times Luke mentions that Jesus wished forward: Luke 3:21, 5:16, 6:12, 9:18, 9:29, 11:1, 22:41) 66 LLI get glimpses here of what it must have cost Him.
At once an angel from heaven was at his side, strengthening him. He prayed on all the harder. Sweat, wrung from him like drops of blood, poured off his face. (22:43-44)But still, Jesus continued to wish forward, willing to play His part in the Grand Plan, to reconcile us to the Father:
"I recorded more than two dozen incidents in Luke that I did not record in Matthew, Mark, or John, each one revealing what a perfect Person looks like even when He is facing terrible pain. Read the parables that fell from His lips..., notice My Son's reply to James and John when they wanted to call down fire on the Samaritans (9:51-56) and how He handled Zaccheus (19:1-10) on His way to die for the sins of James and John and the Samaritans and Zaccheus. Then you will see that perfect maturity feels deeply and loves generously even when life is hard. That's what it means to become like My Son. Still interested?" 66 LLO Lord, this is so challenging! I confess the countless times in recent days when I have been more concerned about myself. I haven't been loving or generous or trusting in the goodness of Your plan. I've second-guessed, taken control, gotten irritated, and kept score because I don't want life to be hard.
Father, I want to be someone who wishes forward like Jesus. I want to have no greater desire than to carry out my part in Your plan, and I know it's only Your Spirit in me that gives me that ability. I pray You'll give me eyes to see things as they truly are, a heart that longs to love deeply and generously, and an unflinching determination to follow the lead of Jesus in bringing heaven's kingdom to earth. Live Your life through me. I want to become more like Your Son.
No comments:
Post a Comment