'We're on our way up to Jerusalem.' (18:31)Jesus knew what it meant when He spoke those words to the disciples. He knew that betrayal, physical and verbal abuse, abandonment, and ultimately an agonizing death lay ahead for Him in Jerusalem. Life was hard, but it wasn't over. Jesus knew what was quickly coming, yet He continued to move forward in His invitation of love to a sinful, hardhearted people.
When Jesus got to the tree, he looked up and said, 'Zacchaeus, hurry down. Today is my day to be a guest in your home.' ... Jesus said, 'Today is salvation day in this home! Here he is: Zacchaeus, son of Abraham! For the Son of Man came to find and restore the lost.' (19:5-10)
After saying these things, Jesus headed straight up to Jerusalem.... They brought the colt to Jesus. Then, throwing their coats on its back, they helped Jesus get on. As he rode, the people gave him a grand welcome....the whole crowd of disciples burst into enthusiastic praise... When the city came into view, he wept over it. (19:28 - 41)
From then on he taught each day in the Temple. (19:47)In the final leg of His journey to the Cross, Jesus didn't stop doing the good that God sent Him to do. He gave an invitation to Zacchaeus and spoke a new identity into this great sinner. He received praise and hallelujahs while riding into Jerusalem, but instead of basking in the glory, He was overcome and wept for the city that He knew would reject Him. He stayed engaged in teaching truth and love in the Temple, even though He knew that the religious scholars were only attempting to trick Him.
"And on the way to Jerusalem, knowing He was about to suffer unbearable agony, My Son did good to others by teaching, healing, and rebuking. I recorded more than two dozen incidents in Luke that I did not record in Matthew, Mark, or John, each one revealing what a perfect Person looks like even when He is facing terrible pain. Read the parables that fell from His lips...notice My son's reply to James and John....and how He handled Zacchaeus on His way to die... Then you will see that perfect maturity feels deeply and love generously even when life is hard. That's what it means to become like My Son." (66LL)Father, You know that when life becomes hard - or even when I just expect it to become hard - I turn inward and seek to place protections around me so that it won't hurt so badly. I'm grateful that Jesus didn't choose that response. He chose to fully engage, to feel deeply, and to love generously, knowing that would open Him up to even greater pain than just the physical agony of the cross. You make me desperate and I want to choose the good things of this life to fill me. You make me desperate and call me to You, the only Satisfaction. I want to resist. I don't like feeling desperate. Do I dare pray this prayer for you to work this in me?
Make me desperate, Lord
the desert-wandering, thirst-producing
kind
with hunger driving deeper -
Take me to that place.
Make me mournful, Lord
of plateaus & normal
& all things justified -
Pull me deeper.
Make me unhappy, Lord
with self & habit & routine
with ordinary & safe & acceptable -
Deliver me.
Make me hungry, Lord
for intimate secrets, passionate moments
for things unseen & unsung -
Call me ever further.
Make me desperate, Lord
for tastes & sights & sounds
of glory & vastness & love
I have yet to know.
Make me desperate, Lord...
for the things
that only come
from a place called
DESPERATE.
for the things
that only come
from a place called
DESPERATE.
(Pamela Sider, www.alifeofinterest.blogspot.com)
2 comments:
thanks for the reminder to look at Jesus' life and see how to love like He does. even when things get tough.
its so true. i try to hide or protect myself and let others know I am hurting when i am. but thats the opposite of loving others. it keeps me from loving others and just helps me to love myself, which i know in the end will not be the ULTIMATE love that I need and long for.
Lord I confess that I often seek love from others or from myself or other things expecting to be able to protect myself and make things better. When I know that Your love is the only love that is more than enough for me. The ultimate only fulfilling and heart completing love that I need. Help me to turn back to You and seek Your love. Help me to know Your love and run to You. Help me to fully engage with others and continue to teach, to spend time with others and to share You, to share life with others. Don't let me pull in and only see myself. You are enough for me. Love You Lord. Thank you for this real relationship. Thanks for never leaving my side.
"He said, 'That's what I mean: Risk your life and get more than you ever dreamed of. Play it safe and end up holding the bag. (Luke 19:26 MSG)
I love The Message translation of this verse. How often am I playing it safe and not being willing to risk my life for what God is calling me to...whether it is how I spend my money, my time, my prayer life, my relationships, my marriage, my children, etc....I pray that I would not play it safe.
Just as Jesus did...may I set my face towards Jerusalem and be willing to endure trials and affliction for His name's sake.
Thank you, Jesus, that You are worthy of all praise. I love the picture of the crowd outside Jerusalem laying their coats down before him, in utter worship and praise of the King...just a tiny glimpse of what it will be like to worship our Lord one day face to face in heaven.
Post a Comment