Followers

Sunday, November 13, 2011

November 13 - Acts 1-3: The Continuation

I've worked the past 48 hours, with my husband and dad, on phase one of our kitchen update.  It's late and my body aches, but it's such a great feeling to look at our kitchen and see what we've accomplished.  For three years, I've had the vision in my head of what our 70s kitchen could look like with a little rearranging and remodeling.  Now I'm actually seeing my vision taking form.

As I read the beginning of Acts, I was reminded that "the story of Jesus doesn't end with Jesus.  It continues in the live of those who believe in him"  (Peterson).  This was Jesus' vision through the three years of his earthly ministry.  He knew the power of what life would be like when He wasn't just with His followers, but when His Spirit resided inside them.  He knew that the story would continue and He alluded to what He could see happening as lives were rearranged,
But when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is.  (John 16:13)
But I have known you, and these disciples know that you sent me on this mission.  I have made this very being known to them - who you are and what you do - and continue to make it known, so that your love for me might be in them exactly as I am in them.  (John 17:25-26)
[Jesus] told them, '...What you'll get is the Holy Spirit.  And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of this world.'  (Acts 1:7-8)
Then, like a wildfire, the Holy Spirit spread through their ranks...  (2:4)
When the time comes, I'll pour out my Spirit on those who serve me... (2:19) 
Peter said, '...Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.' (2:39)
Life was being remodeled.  What Jesus' had envisioned for His followers was coming into reality.  The Holy Spirit had come to rearrange and repurpose the lives of those who believe in Christ.
"What My Son began through His birth, life, death, resurrection, and ascension - the center of history - He now continues through what My Spirit birthed at Pentecost:  the church.  From then until My Son returns to take over the earth, every member of the church is empowered to tell the full message of their new life in Christ."  (66LL)
A far grander vision than an updated kitchen.

2 comments:

Christina said...

This morning I did my laundry. And overseas here, my clothes always gets messed up in the washer. It gets stretched, marks always get on it. Then I go outside and hang up each piece one by one, it always a few hours affair. Then I swat away the bugs that linger around my clothes. And inside I get bitter and angry. Why? Because I feel like I know I could have it better. I feel like my clothes are getting ruined. And I'm wasting hours to complete this that before only took me a few minutes throwing clothes into my washer then into my dryer.

And the day has been long and busy but I've been praying for time to just sit down with God and spend quality time together. Todays reading reminded me that I'm troubled and I'm hanging on to things of this world-namely easy laundry and my clothes. But also that I still call this way I follow Jesus and my distracted undevoted heart, Christianity. Sometimes I tell myself its okay, i'm only human and turn back to God and ask for His grace to flow all over me. And to help me return to Him.

But sometimes like today, I just needed to hear, "Christina, are you being phony? Are you pretending that you're really laying your life down for me? What's going on in your heart?"

Moved by the reminders to be real with God, to devote myself to Him and to ask for His help in committing to Him. To stop. To see who He is. And to respond. "Get out while you can;get out of this sick and stupid culture. That day about three thousand took him t his word were baptized and were signed up. They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostle, the life together, the common meal and the prayers." Acts 2.40-42

Sign me up. You're right Staci, this vision of the church continuing Jesus' work, knowing that our mission now is to share the full message with others to the ends of the world with the power of the Holy Spirit working in us- this is a grander vision. Sign me up! :) Praying to see God daily as who He is and to respond with commitment and love.

Christina said...

After all, He is worthy to be known. This work is worthy. And so is having all my clothes messed up along the way. Privileged to have Him at work in me and through me.