As we finish up the fourth and final gospel, I've been reflecting on what I've learned from each author. Larry Crabb's painter/portrait analogy helped clarify my thoughts:
"No single artist could capture the beauty of life as it was meant to be lived. I commissioned four specially chosen artists - each selected for his temperament and because of his circumstances - to paint four portraits of the only Person who ever fully lived. Together they sketched a beauty that is not in the eye of the beholder but is in the person of My Son, a beauty that a thousand portraits could never capture, a glory that though dimly visible now will one day fill the heavens and the earth. You...catch a glimpse of the compelling beauty of His life if you linger before each portrait as a preview of heaven's soon coming attraction:
@ My Son, the Sovereign King of a kingdom long promised, whose citizens are instructed by the King Himself to live in a way that makes no sense to citizens of this world's kingdom. Matthew, the tax collector turned saint, painted that picture.
@ My Son, the Suffering Servant, who by His unexpected example led His followers to sacrifice every comfort that gets in the way of serving others. Mark, the man who once failed to serve when things got rough, highlighted that facet of My Son's beauty.
@ My Son, the Perfect Person, whose brothers and sisters are learning to wish forward as He did, the only Person whose ruling passion was never to suffer less or feel good but was always to advance My plan to get My people to the party. I enjoyed watching Him live as I've enjoyed watching no one else. The Greek physician Luke, who longed to see the human ideal and who found Him in My Son, sketched the perfection he saw.
@ My Son, the Divine Life itself...John, the dreamer, the poet, a man to whom I revealed the deepest truth about My Son, a truth that no one without My Spirit's prompting could imagine - I chose this man to present the One who fully revealed what it means to live as I live, who revealed My heart, My nature, My love." 66 LLFather, thank You for the portraits of Jesus that You've preserved for me through two millenia. I praise You for choosing to reveal Yourself to me. I praise You that I don't have to wonder what You're like, that I have a flesh-and-blood picture of who You are in Jesus. I thank You for the good news of the gospel, that out of Your great love, You've done everything for me to be able to spend eternity with You. Thank You for giving me the faith to believe.
Jesus provided far more God-revealing signs than are written down in this book. These are written down so you will believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and in the act of believing, have real and eternal life in the way he personally revealed it. (20:20-21)
"It's time to embrace...The wonder of the incarnation overwhelms me." 66 LLWhat is God showing you as you linger before each of these portraits? Are you catching a glimpse of the compelling beauty of Jesus' life?
2 comments:
These portraits, these stories have helped me to see really how Jesus is great and sovereign. Perfect in every way. Real. More real to me.
I get distracted easily and discouraged. But thinking over the Gospels reminds me that He is WORTHY to be known among the nations. A friend reminded me of that recently. He is worthy of glory, He is worthy of my obedience, evrything, He is worthy.
And I'm reminded of His love for me, His sacrifice. For me. His unending perfect love. Thank You Jesus.
The only Person who ever fully lived! Compelling.
As I sit alone this night in a way-too-quiet house with no plans, I'm striired that this Sovereign Suffering Divine Life moved 2,000 years ago that my dead works may come alive.
Post a Comment