Then he told them what they could expect for themselves: "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat - I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self." (9:23-24)This isn't the message I want to hear. I am the girl who has done my best to avoid suffering. I've dodged hard situations, I've not "gone there" with my emotions, I've walled off parts of my heart, and I've used anger as a cover for hurt and sadness. Suffering? No, thank you.
But now I feel like I'm being exposed on all sides to the potential for huge suffering.
- Following Christ wherever He leads? Suffering.
- Motherhood? Suffering.
- Adoption? Suffering.
- Trusting God with difficult relationships? Suffering.
- Loving others? Suffering.
But here it is in black and white. Suffering is part of the deal. It's the process by which I grow to become more like Christ. It's part of the maturation process. Sure, I can continue to try to avoid it, but I'm guessing that God has other plans for me.
"Hear this, you can become apparently mature without My Spirit's power. Human effort is sufficient. But I find no pleasure in what it produces. Peace will come to earth only when I find pleasure in all its inhabitants (Luke 2:14). And that will not happen until everyone is perfectly mature, formed exactly like My Son. Movement toward that desire requires the power of My Spirit, to divide and expose the two roads within you (Luke 12:51) and lead you to wish forward on the right one - the narrow one - to follow in My Son's footsteps." 66 LLI realize I've settled for apparent maturity for too long, and God has been moving me along toward a desire to be more like Him by causing me to experience suffering in deeper ways. I pray that one of these years, I'll truly be able to say, as Paul does, that I will rejoice at being poured out as a drink offering to the Lord. (Philippians 2:17, 2 Timothy 4:6)
I'm afraid I'm not there yet.
2 comments:
Cici, its crazy but i feel like you've put my heart also into words that I couldn't find. i may just borrow some of them if thats okay!
I'm going deeper into me and deeper into God and i didn't count the costs. God's reminding me of what the costs are but how much bigger the reward will be. Why does that still sound like its all for me?
I just need Him to help me to see how its not about me and how its about Him. ALL ABOUT HIM. I will suffer to know Him more, to be closer to my God. To be closer to other people. man, this life is hard. i'm now realizing how its not about the blessings. how not of this world is that? so hard.
clean me, Jesus. change me. help me to desire to be most like You.
2 Tim 3:11-12 Every last one of us will be persecuted. We will suffer. But, will we suffer well?
Post a Comment