Followers

Saturday, September 24, 2011

September 24 - Obadiah & Jonah 1-4: Holding Grudges

Two books of the Bible in one day - albeit short ones! - so I'll need some grace as I try to wrap my thoughts into something cohesive.  Again, I'm so grateful for Peterson's and Crabb's insights that are helping frame what God is saying through these two minor prophets. My impression is that God is addressing grudges that I'm holding and don't fully recognize.  He's showing me my "pride, the energy behind getting even" and that what I assume are His purposes are often mine, "fashioned by and pursued with pride and self-righteousness and disdain for people [He loves]." (66LL)   He's revealing to me that His ways towards His enemies, towards those who oppose Him, are far different than what I might expect.

Through Obadiah, God is addressing the enemy, "the villain" of God's covenant people.  He's making his judgment clear.  He will not stand for Edom's victimization of Israel.
God's Judgment Day is near for all the godless nations.  As you [Edom] have done, it will be done to you.  What you did will boomerang back and hit your own head.  (Obadiah 15)
Harsh, but just words to Edom for their years of gloating, laughing, taking advantage of, knocking down, and traitoring their brother, Israel.  Vengeance, sweet vengeance for twenty verses.  Then God says such a God-like thing,
The remnant of the saved in Mount Zion will go into the mountains of Esau [Edom] and rule justly and fairly, a rule that honors God's kingdom. (Obadiah 21) 
Not the expected ending to this book of judgment.  No "good riddance", no washing of the hands, no more grudges.  Instead, Israel will represent God's fair rule, true justice for Edom.  This doesn't feel as satisfying in the darkness of my soul.  After centuries and generations of abuse, Israel will not do unto Edom as they did unto Israel.

Then, Jonah comes on the scene with a warning prophecy for another God-opposed culture.  God calls Jonah to "a mission that was countercultural, an offense to his people and an embarrassment to his reputation...."  Jonah doesn't want to deliver the good news to the people of Nineveh, he can't get past his grudge.  God isn't making sense to him and isn't acting in the way Jonah expects God to act.  In fact, every good thing that Jonah had received because of God's previous prosperity message through him was now in jeopardy (2 Kings 14:23-27) and "he deemed it legitimate to compromise his calling in order to preserve his blessings." (66LL)

That certainly hits personally.  I love ministry when I'm admired and the mission is esteemed.   I feel the pull to turn away when ministry involves messy people or people who aren't viewed as the current "movers and shakers" for the kingdom of God;  when ministry is unpopular, hidden or misunderstood; when it doesn't meet my desire for approval.  How am I any different than Jonah "running away from God... as far away from God as he could get" when I choose a mission that is currently glorified by the church instead of falling unreservedly into what God is actually calling me to?  What grudges is God exposing in my soul?
"Part of growing up, of seeing Me as I am, tempts [you] to run from Me, to establish a safe distance from the distinctly unsafe and inexplicably disagreeable ways I sometimes involve Myself in the lives of those I love.... You are growing up.  Your days of naive worship and shallow but exciting intimacy are over.  It is always difficult for a child to become an adult, to draw close to Me as I AM.
"You reduce Me to a God who is supposed to submit to your understanding of what matters most.  You do not discern the lethal self-interest behind the purposes for which you seek divine approval.  You are wrong to demand My cooperation with your understanding of life.  Because I love you and because My plans for you are good, I demand your cooperation with Mine.  There is no other way to enjoy My Presence."  (66LL)
God, I want to, I must lay down my grudges against people who have hurt me and rejoice when You restore and show great love toward my accusers.  But even more, I must lay down my grudges against You when You haven't come through for me the way I want you to - my grudges against the hidden and misunderstood plans that You have called me to.  When I run the other direction, thank You God for loving me and swallowing me up in trouble, discouragement, and disillusionment so that I return to You.

3 comments:

Sarah E. said...

Jonah fascinates me. We teach the story to little kids at VBS and in Veggie Tales, but do this versions tell the full story? They often leave out chapter 4, which is the most convicting part for me, the place in which I see so much of my selfishness, self-centeredness, and my grudges, demands and expectations upon God.

What stood out to me this morning:
Jonah 2.8 those who worship hollow gods, god-frauds, walk away from their only true love.

Jonah 4.2b for I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Jonah is stuck (way too weak of a word) in a whale in midst of blood and gore and organs and oh my. I'm afraid of being stuck on elevators much less in the sea. Jonah knew his life was ebbing away. In some respects, there are parts of my life ebbing away. Jonah 2:7 - Jonah gave up his plans for 2Cor 1:9--to rely on a God Who raises the dead. And Jonah prays in Jonah 2:7,8 - May we not miss, never forfeit, the Grace of God while stuck in midst of our messy whales. Oh God, help me rely on You in my weakness.

Christina said...

Wow I didn't think these shorter books could impact me so much. But again and again God speaks so clearly to me through His Word, the Spirit and also you women.

Hits personal so much right now. I'm questioning everything about ministry. About my calling. About joy in the midst of needing to do things I don't want to do. Questioning God's purposes. So many mysteries and even bitterness. I think I know why now.

I'm growing up. It's not just shallow worship and "I'll follow you"s. It's real. It's deeper now. I don't just go and follow and deliver news where I want because its exciting or my desires lead me there. But even when I don't feel like it, I can be called to do the same. And my heart is untrustworthy anyways. I've been feeling attacked lately, but I think that on this journey of following Dad and reading the whole story, I'm going deeper and i'm so scared and weirded out. So tempted to run away. But God, pull me in closer to You, who You really are. I know You are my first love, draw me nearer and lead me straight back to You. Please Lord, I need Your help to guide me and open up my heart, mind, eyes and ears to You. Get involved. Stay involved.

"Part of growing up, of seeing Me as I am, tempts [you] to run from Me, to establish a safe distance from the distinctly unsafe and inexplicably disagreeable ways I sometimes involve Myself in the lives of those I love"