Followers

Friday, September 23, 2011

September 23 - Amos 6-9: Think of the Worst That Could Happen

I haven't spent much time in Amos before and have never heard a sermon on any part of Amos. Now I understand why. This is hard stuff!

It couldn't have been fun for the Israelites to hear. Not exactly a welcome message to a wicked king and his unrepentant people. And they got a double dose of God's warning of judgment - Amos and Hosea were prophesying during the same time period. Shoot, I don't think the vast majority of American churches would relish being confronted with the words of these prophets either!

I was riveted as I read these chapters this morning. The "woe to" verses in chapter six jumped off the page at me because most of them (okay, all of them) are true of me, the American church, and/or our country today. In many respects, we don't look much different from Israel just before God sent them into exile. I really wonder what judgment is awaiting our country in the not-so-distant future. Frightening to think about.

And I literally shuddered as read the words in 8:10:
Think of the worst that could happen - your only son, say, murdered. That's a hint of Judgment Day - that and much more.
That's the horrifyingly real fate awaiting so many people, even people who are religious. I can't think of anything worse than having a child murdered, but God says that's just a hint of Judgment Day. Oh.my.word!

This verse makes me think of my friends, family, and neighbors who don't know the Lord, who are content with ignoring God or going through empty rituals, who think Harry and I are a little kooky in our beliefs. Many of them don't want to hear the Truth - we've tried with many of them.

But today I'm also convicted of all of the times that I've chickened out in talking directly to them about Christ. I'll settle into talking about church activities instead of the Christ I love, or out of fear or laziness, I won't ask probing questions when I'm given the opportunity. I tell myself, "They know where I'm coming from spiritually. If they wanted to know more, they'd ask me." But would they, really? I seriously doubt it.
"Sin dulls our spiritual sense and lulls us into self-indulgent sloth, but judgment wakes us up to God." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1407
These friends of mine, who are dead in their sins, have dull spiritual senses. I'm praying that God, in His grace, will bring (little j) judgment into their lives that will cause them to repent and turn to Christ while they still have the opportunity.
[God] is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn't want anyone lost. He's giving everyone space and time to change. But when the Day of God's Judgment does come, it will be unannounced, like a thief. The sky will collapse with a thunderous bang, everything disintegrating in a huge conflagration, earth and all its works exposed to the scrutiny of Judgment. (2 Peter 3:9-10)
As I think about the impending judgment the northern Kingdom faced, I'm praying that God will bring to mind specific friends and that He'll give me the opportunity and the courage to initiate conversations about Christ with them. My motive is love and concern for them and their eternal home, not trying to force my beliefs on them.

Frankly, after this year's journey through the Old Testament, I'm getting a better picture of the worst that could happen to them. Yikes.

1 comment:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I went to a conference where Crabb led us through the book of Amos in one week. I so remember him sharing Amos 1:2 that says:
The LORD roars! Even this day!