"The difficulties that come into our lives aren't arbitrary intrusions. They're elements in a complex web of interconnecting sins and mercies...What we need to know is that suffering is neither an impersonal fate or a personal punishment.
In the book of Joel, the prophet sounded a clarion call of God's impending judgment. The purpose wasn't to get everyone to run for cover but to call the people of God to repent (2:12-14); not alert the people of the famine so they would store up food in their basements, but to avert the famine by calling the people to cry out for mercy so that God could deal with them generously instead of judgmentally (2:15-27).
Suffering, even the impending threat of suffering, as in the book of Joel, can be redemptive. Not all of the time, of course, for suffering doesn't always make us better. It often makes us worse. It can make us defiant, bitter, and lonely. But at least it holds out the possibility of being redemptive if we respond properly to it." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1388
I'm still trying to process the events and conversations of this past weekend in California. In many ways, the wedding was beautiful, yet there were plenty of distressing moments that left me confused and uncertain how to respond.
I think that's why this message of Joel really hit me today. The suffering in our friend's life has been far-reaching, with some of it self-inflicted and some of it not.
But Joel tells me there is the hope of redemption in his suffering and the hope of restoration in his relationship with his Lord. God uses every bit of suffering in our lives and can change the course of events. That encourages me to continue to intercede on his behalf and ask God to give him ears to hear and a heart to repent.
Come back to me and really mean it! Come fasting and weeping, sorry for your sins! Change your life, not just your clothes. Come back to God, your God. And here's why: God is kind and merciful. He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot. This most patient God, extravagant in love, always read to cancel the catastrophe. (2:12-13)
Let the priests, God's servants, weep tears of repentance. Let them intercede: "Have mercy, God, on your people!" (2:17)
I'll make up for the years of the locust, the great locust devastation...that great locust invasion I sent your way. (2:25)
Before the Judgment Day of God, the Day tremendous and awesome. Whoever calls, "Help, God!" gets help. (2:31)Lord, I realize that this isn't just a message for our friend; it's a sobering reminder of what You want from me - a humble and surrendered heart that fully trusts You and Your plan. Thank You for my present difficulties that give me "a fresh opportunity to reorient my life in faithful obedience." May I see them that way too. I fervently pray that for our friend also.
"In our everyday experience, right and wrong and the decisions we make about them seldom come to us neatly packaged and precisely defined. Joel's prophetic words continue to reverberate down through the generations, making the ultimate connection between anything, small or large, that disrupts our daily routine, and God, giving us fresh opportunity to reorient our lives in faithful obedience." Eugene Peterson, Introduction to Joel
4 comments:
Orient my life God, that I might bring You glory in all that I do. I want others to see You in me.
I'm reading a book called "Heaven's for Real". A three year old boy recounts his brief visit in heaven. (true story) I can't get over the young boy's description of Jesus' character and how Jesus held him in his lap to calm his fears. Wow! The little boy emphasizes to his dad over and over how much God loves us. (So I'm reminded here again in the book of Joel) The little boy in the book also emphasizes the power of prayer. As I have reflected on this book and our readings, it has renewed the reality of our Creator God and His consuming love for a relationship with His created.
I am here God, mold me and change me so I might do the good things you have prepared in advance for me to do.
Have a blessed day! Thanks Staci and Cici for your continued commitment to this blog.
Difficulties: Elements in a complex web of interconnecting sins and mercies. Disruptive and yet so encouraging. Do I view my catastrophes as intrusions? Am I content in my calamities (2Cor 12). Do I see my difficulties as a call to repent ~ Joel 2:12-14?
God's speaking to me so much here.
The more I read and continue to dive into this adventure the more real He is to me in everyway.
The more I read I think I'm growing deeper in my faith but today I'm realizing I still am so prone to wander!!!! I am truly experiencing the call to repent for my wandering, my craving, my seeking of satisfaction in so many other things and myself rather than God. My ultimate decisions each day rejecting Him. And He even helps me to repent. He's a pursuing real loving intimate God.
Yes God, change my heart and mold me. Help me to stand more firm on You, my Rock and not a sandy unstable foundation which is what i now call, my faith. Increase my faith, my obedience and service to You, my worship, Lord and Savior of my life.
Bev - Love your heart-piercing questions. Happy to have you back with us! I've missed your insightful comments.
Christina - I'm so blessed to hear what God is doing in your life. I feel like God is doing many of the same things in my life through this reading. Glad you're on this journey with us!
Post a Comment