Followers

Friday, July 22, 2011

July 22 - Proverbs 27-29: What He Reveals

Reading these three proverbs, there are so many great verses about real friendship, that I was sure that's what God would impress on me to write about.  Then, I came to this verse, which really hit home:
If people can't see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; but when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed.  (29:18)
What God reveals is what I need to give attention to.  That's freeing to me right now as my head swims with a multitude of upcoming decisions and all the secondary choices that branch from those.  We're in one of those life seasons where there are many options and transitions ahead.  We've been through these kind of seasons before, so we know that they come and go, but this particular season seems to include some uncharted waters.

After Eric and I were discussing the many opportunities in front of us and our inability to clearly see a way through it all, he read a selection from My Utmost for His Highest to me:
"At critical moments in our lives it is necessary to ask God for guidance, but it should be unnecessary to be constantly saying, 'Oh Lord, direct me in this and in that.'  Of course He will, and in fact, He is doing it already!  If our everyday decisions are not according to His will, He will press through them, bringing restraint to our spirit. Then we must be quiet and wait for the direction of His presence."  (Oswald Chambers)
Interesting timing for that reading.  It's not simply about our asking God for guidance, it's not necessary to constantly beg God for direction.  It is about what He has already revealed and what He's already doing.  That's where I must focus my attention - not on the unknowns of the future, but waiting for the direction of His presence.  I must rest in Him by not looking for the answers or the principles or the clarity, but by quietly waiting on God's presence.  That's where His direction will be - in Who He is.
God, our God, will take care of the hidden things but the revealed things are our business.  It's up to us and our children to attend to all the terms in this Revelation. (Deut. 29:29, Msg)
So, for today I'm taking care of what is needed for today - I know that's God's revealed will.  Parenting my children, caring for my husband, taking care of household needs, speaking honestly with a friend, writing this blog, talking and listening to God.  These are God's revealed things for today.  As I attend to these, God is faithfully pressing through to me, restraining and encouraging my spirit.  I can trust that He has revealed all that I need for today and will reveal all that I need for His plans for my future.

1 comment:

Cici said...

A good message for me today as I contemplate our adoption. Attend to what he reveals - nothing less, nothing more.

This morning, we finally laid eyes on our approval letter. It wasn't very encouraging, which was disappointing. But I know the Lord is over all of the details, so I can only wait, pray, and trust that He sees and hears.

Some other verses that stood out to me:
Honest people are relaxed and confident, bold as lions. (28:1) Another benefit of honesty.
When the country is in chaos, everybody has a plan to fix it - But it takes a leader of real understanding to straighten things out. (28:2) I wonder who that leader is in the 2012 presidential election. I'm praying God will reveal His choice.
You can't whitewash your sins and get by with it; you find mercy by admitting and leaving them. (28:13) Confession is good for me.
Wise discipline imparts wisdom; spoiled adolescents embarrass their parents. (29:15) I need to be wise AND discipline my children, not just discipline out of my feelings or frustrations.
Discipline your children; you'll be glad you did - they'll turn out delightful to live with. (28:17) Lord, give me the courage and patience to be persistent and consistent in disciplining my kids.
The fear of human opinion disables; trusting in God protects you from that. (29:25) Enough said.