We live for seventy years or so (with luck we might make it to eighty), and what do we have to show for it? Trouble. Toil and trouble and a marker in the graveyard.
Oh! Teach us to live well! Teach us to live wisely and well! (90:10-12)
Moses' request to God resonates with me. Life seems to be moving at warp speed. I can't believe I'm 41. Shoot, I remember 21 like it was yesterday! And as I was observing my niece, Clancey, interacting with her sisters this morning, I also remembered what it was like to be seven years old. Where has the time gone?? It seems like time is speeding up the older I get.
But instead of looking back, God is prompting me to look ahead. My heart's desire is to really know God - and out of that intimacy with Him, that my remaining years will really count because I'm fully surrendered to God. I desperately want to play my part in God's Grand Story, and God's the only One who knows my assignment, who can guide me. I so want these years to be significant for God's Kingdom, whatever that looks like. And the only way for it to happen is to ask God to teach me how to live wisely and well.
So, I must listen closely to His voice. It's not about deciding what's "right for me." It's not about doing what comes naturally or easily. It's not about wasting my days on stuff that doesn't matter, thinking that I have plenty of time. I don't.
The Bible reminds us that our days are fleeting. (Job 14:5, Psalm 39:3-5) Our culture lulls us into thinking that today is all there is; that we should live our best life now; that we should do whatever will make us happy.
Only one of those worldviews can be correct, and I'm betting I know which one it is.
You made me so happy, God. I saw your work and I shouted for joy. How magnificent your work, God! How profound your thoughts! Dullards never notice what you do; fools never do get it. (92:4-5)
How blessed the man you train, God, the woman you instruct in your Word (94:12)
"We will learn to live well when we learn to live wisely. And we will learn to live wisely when we learn to realize that our days here on earth are numbered." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 871Lord, teach me! Teach me to number my days. Teach me to live wisely and well.
1 comment:
Thanks for your insight and reminder to live each day well, Cici. I really needed that right now. That verse also stuck out to me and I liked it.
But then I got to chapter 91 and found myself arguing with it because I don't see that as a truth in this life. Verses 4, 7, 10, and 14 seem to promise a life free from harm and trouble... of course I get that we have the ultimate party and victory in the end, but these verses seem to be promising something more and I'm left confused.
And then I read: Psalm 92:6
"Dullards never notice what you do; fools never do get it." Lord, I don't want this to be me. Give me eyes to see; give me wisdom to know your truths.
This, I know and trust: Psalm 93:4
"Stronger than wild sea storms,
Mightier than sea-storm breakers,
Mighty God rules from High Heaven."
And my response is complete adoration and praise!!
Post a Comment