Followers

Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30 - Esther 1-5: Acknowledge Me

I've always thought Esther was an interesting book to read in terms of history and characters, but it is strange that God is never mentioned. It's no wonder that, over the centuries, some have questioned its inclusion in the Old Testament.

I'm comforted by the message of Esther - that God is at work in the world even when I'm unaware of it. Things that I see as coincidence are anything but.  Tsunamis, election results, tornadoes, adoptions delays, cancer diagnoses, challenging family members, you name it - all is under His control. Nothing in my life is by luck, fate, or chance.
"I allow nothing to happen that I cannot use for the good of My plan. How I use everything is not always obvious. That I do use everything is certain. I hate much of what I see, much of what goes on grieves and saddens me and tries My patience, but I use everything to further My purpose. What I cannot use I do not permit." 66 LL
It makes me think about all the years when I wasn't walking with God, making selfish (and unwise) decisions and reaping consequences that were painful. I laugh at how much I thought I could control what happened to me in life. They were hard lessons to learn at the time, but God used them to put me on the path to beginning my relationship with Christ in my late twenties.

I know that, even then, in the midst of the craziness, He loved me and pursued me, and I benefited from His providential care. Gratefully, there were some significant people and situations and opportunities that God quietly overruled, knowing what He had planned for me. 66 LL

Now that I'm aware of God's Presence in my every part of my life, I'm struck by the fact that the Israelites never acknowledged God by name, particularly after all they'd been through and after reading The Revelation of God. What in the world were they thinking??
"But not once did they turn to Me by name."
"But not once is it recorded that they praised Me by name. In their need, My people did not seek Me by name. In their joy, My people did not celebrate Me by name." 66 LL
Do I do that? Do I assume that God knows I'm talking to Him and about Him? Have I watered down my worship of the One True Living God? Has it become routine, monotonous or boring?

I hope not. That's not what God intends our relationship to be like. And I'm realizing more and more how much our Father in heaven cares about His Name. He wants to be recognized and loved for who He is, and He wants to reveal Himself to me, if I will only seek Him.
"That is what I am saying to you, among many other things, in this seventeenth love letter: I care for you. Acknowledge Me by name. See Me in everything, including your worst torment and suffering, with the eyes of faith. And you and I together will enjoy a relationship of love." 66 LL
Lord, I do want to enjoy that relationship of love with You. I want every part of me to be involved - my mind, my emotions, and my will. I'm so grateful for Your goodness, gentleness, mercy, and unconditional love that You've expressed to me in countless ways throughout the years. I don't ever want to take any of it for granted or to lose the awe I feel whenever I think about how You've worked in my life and drawn me to Yourself.

2 comments:

Staci said...

It's astounding that God can be the "quiet overruler" of a man as wishy-washy as Xerxes! He followed what counsel felt good or right to him at the time, whatever benefited him, with no moral compass.

"How I use everything is not always obvious. That I do use everything is certain." (66LL)

Such comforting words in the midst of the uncertainty and loss of control in my own life!

(And sign me up for the year's worth of beauty treatments - wow!)

Amy Chambers said...

I keep thinking about the strong faith of Mordecai as he faces death for his beliefs and I also like how he held Esther accountable for her actions during this tough time. He didn't mince words, he just told her she needed to take action, NOW. I feel like I am wishy-washy with decisions and I pray that I become a woman of faith AND action (swift action). I picture God banging His head on the wall as He patiently waits for me to act on something He's been telling me to do for days/months/years...Thank you God for your patience!