There truly is a deep yearning in each of us to be remembered - not just when we move away or die - for who we are, what we believe, and what we've done, but more importantly, the heart behind it. I struggle with feeling invisible at times. The invisible mom who drives, cooks, cleans, and goes unnoticed unless something else is needed. The invisible daughter growing up in a family with two special needs siblings. The invisible wife at the office party that no one knows what to ask because she doesn't have a career.
I wonder if Nehemiah's struggle was similar. The results of his work were good, but not perfect. The Temple was rebuilt, but then abandoned. Did he feel that all his hard work was in vain? Was he questioning whether he would be forgotten just as the Israelites repeatedly forgot God? His memoir ends with his heart's plea:
Remember me, O my God, for this. Don't ever forget the devoted work I have done for The Temple of God and its worship.
Remember me also for this, my God. Treat me with mercy according to your great and steadfast love.
Remember them, O my God, how they defiled the priesthood and the covenant of the priests and Levites.
Remember me, O my God, for good. (13:14, 22, 29, 31)God's answer wasn't necessarily verbal nor written down. We can get a glimpse of His response to Nehemiah, as we can also get a glimpse to God's response to our desire to be remembered:
"Nehemiah's 'high' was gone. But the glimpse he had seen sustained him. He knew he was doing a great work, just as parents whose children break their hearts must remember that the greatness of their work is not measured by the results they see but by their faithfulness to Me. Whatever is done to know Me and make Me known, to advance My purposes, is a great work. And I will use every great work done by My people, no matter how small it seems, to further My great plan. When you see the fullness of that plan and its end result, you will be plunged forever in a sea of joy." (66LL)
1 comment:
It's not exactly a happy ending to Nehemiah. I know I shouldn't be expecting one, but there's always that lingering hope in me. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not reading fairy tales, and the happy ending comes later...
Nehemiah's refrain of "Remember me" was very telling. While I don't necessarily feel invisible, I do wonder if what I do even matters. So much of it seems utterly trivial. I have to keep trusting that if I am doing what God's asked of me, it is a great work.
I love the truth that SOMEDAY I will see the fullness of God's plan and the end results. Yay!! And then A SEA OF JOY will be my eternal destiny! How great does that sound?!?
Post a Comment