Followers

Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1 - 1 Chronicles 3-5: A New Name

I'm trying to read these genealogies with focus, each name representing a person, each person known by God.  Heads of families, rulers, men of honor such as Jabez, men of shame such as Judah, and the many in between.  I wish that I could give each name the significance it deserves and remember the story of each person's life.  But, my too-full and scattered mind cannot contain it all.

Gratefully, for God it is very different. He does remember every name and each has the utmost significance to Him. Here are some reminders of God's perspective on our names:
However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.  Luke 10:20 (NIV)
Are your ears awake?  Listen.  Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches.  I'll give the sacred manna to every conqueror; I'll also give a clear, smooth stone inscribed with your new name, your secret new name.  Revelations 2:17 (Msg)
In this life, there are things I have done that have tarnished my name and there are people who have tarnished my name without cause.  Oh, how I look forward to hearing my name read from the Book of Life and then being given a new name from Jesus, the Name above all Names.

3 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Wind Words.
Always calling.
New Name.
How beautiful is that!

Christina Teng said...

Treasured, accepted, known precious daughter :)

Tressa said...

I think of Abram who God named Abraham.... of Jacob who God named Israel .... and of Saul who God named Paul. Only 3 examples, but with a new name came new character and new purpose.

In Christ we too are new creatures, new character, new life. Thanks for sharing the verse in Revelation. I didn't realize, I too would have a new name. :)