"This is a different version of the story than before... I am writing to My people in a specific time and in specific circumstances, a time and a set of circumstances that were different from when I wrote to them in Samuel and Kings.
I wrote my earlier four letters soon after My people were carried into exile...They felt mistreated, victims of a fate they didn't deserve. They saw themselves as decent people entitled to a better life that I should provide....I detailed their history of moral failure...My message to those people, in that time, in those circumstances, and with that attitude, was clear. It was a message of hard and humbling love: You are not entitled to the good life. Stop whimpering as if you deserve what I am not providing.
In 1 and 2 Samuel and in 1 and 2 Kings, I am writing to the exiled community. In 1 and 2 Chronicles, I am writing to the restored community....To the exiled but still proud community, I underlined sin. To the restored but discouraged community, I aroused hope." 66 LLI love that God speaks His message directly to individuals. That's what all of these genealogies represent to me. Our Lord is in the details of their lives and my life, which is so encouraging to me.
I'm also hoping this means that it'll be a more uplifting read through this book than the previous ones, one focused on hope rather than sin. We shall see...
2 comments:
There are so many different opinions about Christianity but our Redemption draws near and we better be sure what we've given our lives to. When Hezron died, Caleb married the wife of his father - I Chron 2:24. Oh my! As I read today's reading, I think again about all the opinions/ideas about God swirling around today. There's only one goal---our goal is God Himself. So grateful, there is hope for our sin.
God really is such a personal God! Praising Him for this today :) Jesus is truly more and more my best friend!!!!
At first I was thinking, "oh my- reading the same things again, can i do it?!" But now I'm really looking forward to hearing Him speak to me through it all...and finding hope rather than the sin! I live for this HOPE!
His love never fails. It never runs out. It never gives up on me!
Post a Comment