Followers

Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 23 - 2 Kings 6-8: Open My Eyes

God's narrative here seems to go from very specific, personal stories of a floating axhead, a mother who cooked her own son (ack!) and the woman whose son Elisha brought back to life to larger, national stories of Israel's war with Aram, famine, and a dying king.  These are all important to God in some way, part of His Love Letter telling us that He has a plan. "The power of evil cannot stop it." (66LL)

The question is, can I see it?  Can I recognize what God is doing in this love letter much less recognize what He's doing in me and in the lives around me?  Elisha kept asking God to open their eyes and to keep watch:
Then Elisha prayed, "O God, open his eyes and let him see." (7:17)
Elisha prayed "O God, open their eyes so they can see where they are."  God opened their eyes. (7:20)
"You'll watch it with your own eyes"  (7:2)
Elisha then stared hard at Hazael, reading his heart.  Hazael felt exposed and dropped his eyes. (8:11)
This seems to be a theme for me lately.  Where are my eyes?  What am I focusing on?  What am I looking for?  If I examine my heart, mostly I'm looking for God to come through for me.  I want the result, something concrete that I can put words to.  I'm often like my kids who are looking for something while yelling, "Mom, where's the so-and-so.  I can't find it!"  The other day, my daughter was looking for the sacks to pack her lunch for a field trip.  I could see her standing in the pantry and I could also see the sacks on the rack right next to her.  But, she just kept insisting that she couldn't find them, until I walked up behind her and gently moved her eyes to where they were.  "Oh.  I didn't see them there."

That would be me, yelling, "I can't see it, God!"  I can't see Your provision. I can't see how you'll meet my deepest needs and dreams.  I can't see Your blessing in the curses spoken to me.
Be generous with me and I'll live a full life; not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road.  Open my eyes so I can see what you show me of your miracle-wonders.  I'm a stranger in these parts; give me clear directions.  My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous! -- insatiable for your nourishing commands....Yes, your sayings on life are what give me delight...  Psalm 119:17-24 (Msg)
He's taking my face gently in His hands and pointing me to the oh so obvious love He has demonstrated to me in His Word and in His son.  I must trust Him to open my eyes.

1 comment:

Christina said...

beautiful post :) Thanks for sharing!!
I was really encouraged from it!

Lord, open our eyes! I, too, often just look for Him to come through for me. And when others think of God as just their go-to, I am so quick to judge that they are wrong and see their specks before I see my own logs. I desire to also see more of how He will truly meet my deepest needs and desires, He knows me better than I know myself. Lord, open my eyes to Your wonderful plan for me, to Your love. "My plan is moving ahead in the worst of times. Don't make it your goal to change bad times to good....But above all else, seek to know Me better and to respresent Me well in every circumstance, no matter HOW YOU FEEL" 66LL