Followers

Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 14 - 1 Kings 6-7: The Main Thing

God had told David through the prophet Nathan that his family and kingdom were permanently secured. And He promised that David's son would build a house to honor God:
Furthermore, God has this message for you: God himself will build you a house! When your life is complete and you're buried with your ancestors, then I'll raise up your child, your own flesh and blood, to succeed you, and I'll firmly establish his rule. He will build a house to honor me, and I will guarantee his kingdom's rule permanently.  (2 Samuel 7:11-13)
Here we are 480 years after the Israelites came out of Egypt, and God is fulfilling his promise: Solomon starts building The Temple of God. (6:2) It's yet another example of God's faithfulness to His people, plans, and promises.

Throughout this seven-year building process, the only word from God that's recorded in Scripture is His message to Solomon:
"About this Temple you are building - what's important is that you live the way I've set out for you and do what I tell you, following my instructions carefully and obediently." (6:11-12)
"It's the literary equivalent of God taking Solomon away from the blueprints and building materials and putting his arm around him to tell him the grand purpose of the project. The resident, not the residence, is the main thing. The Lord can easily be lost in the bustle of preparing something for him, whether something as majestic as a temple or as mundane as a meal." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 497.
I know I'm guilty of missing God in the midst of His blessings. I get so wrapped up in the details of my life - husband, children, home, desires, plans, friends, church - that I lose my intimacy with the One who gave them all to me. I focus on the residence, not the resident. That happens even when I'm being intentional about having a godly marriage, raising children who know and love the Lord, putting a priority on hospitality or serving at church or investing in neighbors and friends. It's so easy to lose perspective on the main thing! (Martha, anyone?? See Luke 10:38-41)

But I'm challenged and motivated by these words from the Lord. They are recorded for me to remember what's important:
  • To live the way God's set out for me
  • To do what He tells me, following His instructions carefully and obediently
This is what God's asking of me. And out of His great mercy and love, He has given me His Holy Spirit to lead and guide me. I'm not in this boat alone; I don't have to figure it out all by myself. I have the Spirit of the Almighty God dwelling inside of me and living His life through me.

Lord, thank You that Your Word is Truth. May it be a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. May I not get lost in or distracted by the details of this temporary life. Thank You for the gift of Your Spirit inside me to guide my thoughts and to direct my steps.

2 comments:

Staci said...

These words about the Resident not the residence are especially meaningful today. I feel like I'm in the midst of many disappointments with this life, this "residence" and I don't like being Debbie Downer. I want to make some fun plans, to do some retail therapy or find a distraction to make the disappointment subside, at least for awhile. I'm feeling the tension to keep my eyes on the Resident, the main thing, and to live in the disappointments of this life and allow them to draw me to Him.

Christina said...

What a good reminder to focus on Him alone! Seeking rest in Him throughout this day, just being with Him in all things I do today- to draw near in delight and praise.