- wealth and glory (3:13)
- everyone in Israel was in awe of his judgment (3:28)
- a complete and competent staff (4:1-19)
- every citizen's needs met - eating, drinking and happiness (4:20)
- sovereignty over all the kingdoms, peace reigned everywhere, all lived safe and sound (4:20-25)
- fame among all the surrounding nations (4:31)
- poet, songwriter, botanist, biologist,...(4:32-33)
Solomon loved God and continued to live in the God-honoring ways of David his father, except that he also worshiped at the local shrines... 1 Kings 3:3So much good, so much wisdom, so much success. Solomon had it all and even obeyed God's commands. Except, that he also worshiped foreign gods. His heart was divided.
In the midst of the incredible mess these kings are making of God's purposes, God continues to work his purposes and uses them in the work - doesn't discard them, doesn't detour around them; he uses them. [Peterson, Intro. to 1 & 2 Kings]What are my exceptions? I love God, read my Bible, go to church, tithe, pray, serve the needy... except my heart is divided between seeking God's approval and managing my image. Bowing to the idols of self-preservation. Seeking the "acceptable" over the holiness of God.
Praise God that in His immense grace, He doesn't discard me, detour around me; He uses me.
4 comments:
Yeah, that comment jumped out at me too. I wonder if he realized that he was disobeying God by worshiping at the local shrines. All worship of God was supposed to be in Shiloh, right? (Or Bethel? I can't remember.)
It's interesting that God appeared to Solomon in the dream when he was in Gibeon "the most prestigious of the local shrines." (3:4) On the heels of Solomon's "exception," God blessed Solomon with a dream, asking, "What can I give you?" (3:5)
These passages make me wonder about my own exceptions - selfishness, judgment, what else?? - and also praise God for His incredible mercy toward sinners like Solomon and me! God gives generously even when we don't deserve it. Amazing.
As I read through everyone's comments yesterday, I was struck by how we all addressed God using us. Not in a bad sense, but in the sense of being useful to Him! (I wrote today's post yesterday morning prior to anyone's comments - so it really is God's work in us!)
You gals are so right - it's not about us focusing on being used by Him. He works in and through us, His plans move forward, He is sovereign and it doesn't depend on us. We must depend on Him. Whew -- really takes the pressure off knowing it's about God, not me!
So true! Thanks Staci for your comments and reminder of God's grace despite our inability to have a whole heart towards God. Thank you Jesus for the covering you have provided over my sin and for the Holy Spirit to help me walk rightly with God.
One of the things I noticed about God's character in these passages is how he not only answered Solomon's prayer but gave him MORE than He asked for. I have seen this in my only life too! I am loved by "that same Creator God". Wow!
My heart is torn between my own comfort and desires right now and living radically for a radically good God. It sounds so silly when I put it down on here. But it's true in my heart. I'm praying for the the resurrection of Christ- the passion in His crucifixion and pain/suffering to be radically felt in my heart.
I don't want to live a life with exceptions to loving and serving our Father. I want to give up my life for Him because He gave up His son for me. I don't want to be a lukewarm follower of Christ who chooses what to give up and what not to for Him. I want to surrender my life and give my all. I want my heart to not be torn while still in this fight in this world. So thankful for Jesus and our choices in this pursuit of Him- and the grace that flows all over us when we fail and turn from Him. Oh, our split hearts. Praying to experience His grace more than my sin today.
Post a Comment