Followers

Friday, December 7, 2012

December 7 - Revelation 7: Pitching Tents

My 16-year-old baby girl flew off (without us) to Chicago early this morning.  In a way, it felt like the first day of kindergarten all over again.  One more step in the releasing process from childhood to young adulthood.  When I woke up (too early) this morning, I began to pray for her.  In my sleepy stupor, my mind would wander to the familiar phrases of prayer for safety, protection, coming home, travel mercies.  Then, I would become more conscious and hear promptings from the Holy Spirit to thank God for His protection (He is holding her in His arms, all the time, no matter where she goes) and to confess my fears and repent that I think I know best what she needs while she's away from us (pride).

In this scenario, that is playing out over and over for me, God reveals how I'm trying to pitch my own "tent" in this world - a tent of safety, comfort, good outcomes, stress-free circumstances, feel-good relating, and happiness.  A tent that He has not pitched...yet.
The One on the Throne will pitch his tent there for them: no more hunger, no more thirst, no more scorching heat. The Lamb on the Throne will shepherd them, will lead them to spring waters of Life. And God will wipe every last tear from their eyes. (v. 16-17)
All these things that my heart yearns for will come, but they are not for today.  God is protecting my daughter whether she returns home or not; whether her experience is positive or negative.  This life, with all its complications and suffering, reveals my hunger, my thirst, my desire for the security of a home (tent).  Trying to pitch this tent for myself shuts off my vision for what is to come and numbs my soul to the aches that God has placed there, reminding me of what He has waiting for me.
 Each one of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. How did they do it? They saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world. People who live this way make it plain that they are looking for their true home. If they were homesick for the old country, they could have gone back any time they wanted. But they were after a far better country than that—heaven country. You can see why God is so proud of them, and has a City waiting for them.  (Hebrews 11:13-16, Msg)

1 comment:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Most people want to hear that I am over my cancer and doing well. People ask me about it almost daily, if not weekly. What if cancer was a gift? I think it was. Haven't asked for the gift again, but honestly, I've lived so upside down. Love this post about pitching tents, Stace. I'm still tempted to pitch not because of the suffering but because of the continual---what if that's a gift I'm pushing away? Wondering what your girl is up to in windy Chicago--you humbly didn't say. Gotta go watch Johnny Football win the Heisman!