One of the Seven Angels who carried the seven bowls came and invited me, “Come, I’ll show you the judgment of the great Whore who sits enthroned over many waters, the Whore with whom the kings of the earth have gone whoring, show you the judgment on earth dwellers drunk on her whorish lust.”....Astonished, I rubbed my eyes. I shook my head in wonder. The Angel said, “Does this surprise you?" (17:1-2, 6)
For a spirit of whoredom has led them astray, and they have left their God to play the whore. (Hosea 4:12)Does it surprise me that God calls my sin "whoredom"? Do I recognize my rejection of Him for my own way as playing the harlot? The way I attempt to fill myself instead of allowing Him to fill me as being the adulteress? These words are harsh and not very "Christian", but Biblical. Am I surprised by my sin, as God reveals it, not as I define it? Or, am I familiar and comfortable enough with my sin, that I'm no longer shocked by its ugliness?
Recently, I had a lunch appointment with a friend. Meeting her is not convenient and being with her is usually draining. We had set the time but not the place. I texted her to find out where she'd like to eat. No response. I needed to leave to make the half-hour drive and get there in time. So, I headed in her direction, unsure of where I would ultimately end up. About halfway there, a wave of self-pity, rejection, frustration, and feeling unvalued began pouring over me. It was an accumulation of unrelated experiences that fed the wave and allowed it to sink deeply into my soul. Why was I making all this effort? She never seems to listen to me or be interested in my life. It's a one-way relationship where I'm the giver and she's the taker.
Driving 70 mph, sorting through these thoughts and beginning to tear up, I said out loud something that comes out of my mouth often, "God, where are you?" To which He usually responds, "Here. Where are you?" Pause. Then, another wave - this one a different kind - rolled over me. The Spirit was prompting, "Run toward her. Show her Who I am and run toward her as I run toward you when you reject Me over and over."
Surprised by my sin. Yes God, I reject You. I play the whore. I choose to confess my outward behaviors and attitudes without repenting of how I reject You, Your way, Your plan, Your provision....
No comments:
Post a Comment