War broke out in Heaven. Michael and his Angels fought the Dragon. The Dragon and his Angels fought back, but were no match for Michael. They were cleared out of Heaven...The great Dragon - ancient Serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, the one who led the whole earth astray - thrown out, and all his Angels thrown out with him, thrown down to earth. (12:7-9)I look around at the evil and chaos in the world, at the pain and brokenness in lives of my friends and family, at the sin that daily tempts me to turn away from God and that often trips me up. It's obvious that I have an enemy behind it all who's out to get me (John 10:10), and John explains why.
For the Devil's come down on you with both feet; he's had a great fall; He's wild and raging with anger; he hasn't much time and he knows it. (12:12)It's a temptation to either see Satan in everything or in nothing, and I know people who err on both sides. But the spiritual battle is real, whether I acknowledge it or not. Satan couldn't get to the woman or to the Son, so now he's taking out his fury on the rest of us. And he knows just the areas that will tempt me to lose focus on or to doubt the Lord - fear, discontentment, selfishness, discouragement, you name it.
But I love what the strong voice out of Heaven reveals:
The Accuser of our brothers and sisters thrown out, who accused them day and night before God. They defeated him through the blood of the Lamb and the bold word of their witness. They weren't in love with themselves; they were willing to die for Christ. (12:11)Even though it appears to my human eyes that the enemy is winning, the voice from Heaven tells me that Satan is ultimately defeated by, of all things, love! Specifically,
- By the work of Christ on the cross on my behalf. It's a done deal because God so loved the world. (John 3:16) And as I simply trust Jesus for my salvation and sanctification, I don't have to believe the enemy's lies that either condemn me or discourage me.
- By me sharing the gospel with those who need Jesus, both believers and unbelievers. I remind myself daily that this is a very real battle for the souls of men. Out of love and gratitude, and a sense of urgency, I must tell others what Jesus has done for them and what He has so graciously done for me.
- By dying to myself. Period. When I get my eyes off of me and back on Jesus, He empowers me to love others well, regardless of how they respond or what they do (or don't do) for me. It's all about Him. "Demand justice no longer. Expose injustice, but reveal love. It's a new way to live, the way of the Lamb." 66 LL
"Things are not as they seem. Evil, though widespread, is not winning. Faithfulness, though costly, is not futile. Affliction, though continuing, will end. The Lion's roar will soon be heard. Until then, reign with the Lamb. Live to love, not control." 66 LL
1 comment:
And you would write this on the day when life turned upside down for those in Connecticut. Oh, the horror they faced. And, OH!, the truth, "things are not as they seem." While no words are possible for those in CT, we all sometimes feel no words in our own dilemmas. So, Live to Love is a call from a God Who can give us the Strength to give up what we think we control and do just that. Have loved being connected with you through the blog. I passed your neighborhood 3X a week this semester, yet our paths only cross here. But, I will always feel connected to you and your family and so grateful for the kindness and love you have shown to us. A Thousand Thanks for Living to Love!
Post a Comment