Followers

Friday, November 23, 2012

November 23 - 1 John 5: Reality not Illusion

Yesterday I was working on our Christmas cards - finding the right card that will fit the size, orientation and colors in the photo that I'm wanting to use.  As I tried to do this, my husband and girls passed by, glanced at what I was doing and gave their opinions.  They didn't like the way they were smiling in this photo, squinting in that one or the way their hair was pulled back in that photo.  I, of course, want a picture that makes me look not quite so old as I am and gives the illusion of not quite so many extra pounds.  As usual, we ended up with a picture that was fairly good of everyone but not stellar of anyone.  Reality has a way of sneaking in, no matter how much I try to crop or adjust.

In finishing this first letter, John is calling us to live in reality, not in illusion.  To not cut out parts of the gospel we're less familiar with or to glance over difficulties.  Instead, to know the true Person of God, to experience and relate to Him, to live in the energy of His love.
My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God’s Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusionAnd how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he’s listening. And if we’re confident that he’s listening, we know that what we’ve asked for is as good as ours.  (v. 13-15)
Am I living in reality as God defines it?  Does my relating, to Him and to those around me, reflect the reality of the perfect relationship I will have with Him in eternity?  Is my will aligned with His will, which is to love?  Do I boldly, freely and confidently come into His presence knowing that He's listening?

All of these questions flood my mind as I transition from one relationally stretching situation to the next over this Thanksgiving weekend.  Not striving to reflect the illusion of the Christmas card photo.  Instead, living in the reality of Whose I am, seeking to reflect the perfect love of my Savior and King in each messy situation.

No comments: