Followers

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 9 - Titus 2: Louder Than Words

Being a leader in the workplace, in the home, or in the church is no small task. Whether I acknowledge and embrace it or not, I am a role model to others. My leadership abilities are exercised mostly at home these days, as my primary job is to train up my daughters.

When I think about the multitude of things that I want them to know and learn, I can get bogged down in details - facts, skills, subjects, and experiences. I get stressed out when I think about the responsibility of raising my children to be the kind of adults who love the Lord and love others well.

But God keeps reminding me that I'm not making cookies. There is no mix of the right ingredients that guarantees the outcome I desire. I can only do what God asks of me and leave the results up to God. I have to trust the Spirit to do His work in my girls, not make sure that I do all the "right" things for my kids.

Paul reminds Titus of a couple of important facts that apply to my leadership as well:
their actions speak louder than their words. (1:16) 
But mostly, show them all this by doing it yourself, incorruptible in your teaching, your words solid and sane. (2:7)
The way I choose to live, the voice I choose to listen to above all others, what I say in the privacy of my home, how I spend my money - all of these things will speak volumes to my kids, regardless of what I actually teach them. It can't be "do as I say, not as I do" because hypocrisy shines like the noonday sun. Ultimately, my character is what matters.

Lord, help me to be the woman You want me to be. Give me the ability to hear Your Voice above all others and to obey You at any cost. I pray You'll have mercy on my kids. Give them hearts that love You and want to follow You all the days of their lives. Keep reminding me that the little things in me matter, and give me the courage to press on as You prune and refine my character. Thank You for loving me so well, in spite of all my messes.

No comments: