My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, not be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him. (12:5 NKJV)
My dear child, don't shrug off God's discipline, but don't be crushed by it either. (12:5 Msg)
"It is very easy to grieve the Spirit of God; we do it by despising the discipline of the Lord, or by becoming discouraged when He rebukes us...
"'Do not quench the Spirit' (1 Thessalonians 5:19), and do not despise Him when He says to you, in effect, "Don't be blind on this point anymore - you are not as far along spiritually as you thought you were. Until now, I have not been able to reveal this to you, but I'm revealing it to you right now." When the Lord disciplines you like that, let Him have His way with you. Allow Him to put you in a right-standing relationship before God...
"Am I fully prepared to allow God to grip me by His power and do a work in me that is truly worthy of Himself? Sanctification is not my idea of what I want God to do for me - sanctification is God's idea of what He wants to do for me. But He has to get me into the state of mind and spirit where I will allow Him to sanctify me completely, whatever the cost (see 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His HighestThis devotional has been on my mind lately because I feel like I've had to work at walking the middle ground between shrugging off and being crushed by what God's doing in me right now.
It's very tempting to numb my mind with the mundane details of my busy life and to ignore all that God is revealing about me and causing me to examine before Him. There are plenty of days when I wish I could close this Pandora's box and go back to what felt like a simpler time. (Or is that only in my mind??)
Chambers reminds me to let God have His way with me, to cooperate with God's cleansing work in me.
For God is not an indifferent bystander. He's actively cleaning house, torching all that needs to burn, and he won't quit until it's all cleansed. God himself is Fire! (12:29)He's doing all of this because He knows what's best for me, because I am His beloved child.
It's the child he loves that he disciplines; the child he embraces, he also corrects. God is educating you; that's why you must never drop out. He's treating you as dear children. This trouble you're in isn't punishment; it's training, the normal experience of children. (12:6-7)Father, I pray You'll give me the courage to let You have Your way in me. I don't want to shrink back, or keep looking for a way out. Keep reminding me that You are good, that You know the beginning from the end. Give me Your peace, trusting that You will complete the work You've begun in me. Help me to persevere by keeping my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith. (12:2)
No comments:
Post a Comment