It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. By that single offering, [Christ] did everything that needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process. (10:14)This image of perfection really struck me today. I have long struggled with wanting to be perfect. I can remember being a teenager, thinking that one day I would arrive. I would have my act together, and I could officially be called "perfect." Unfortunately, I was striving for my definition of perfection, not one based on the Lord.
As I result, I tried a little bit of everything - and fell flat on my face in humiliation and despair - before I came to the conclusion that I would never be, and could never be, perfect. I was 27 years old by the time I realized that there's only one perfect person, and His name is Jesus.
This perfect God-man did for me what I could never do for myself. With a single offering of Himself on a cross, He did everything that needed to be done to make me holy, righteous, and forgiven in my Father's eyes. By His blood, I am made perfect before God Almighty.
As I consider this truth, I'm embarrassed by how much my sinful heart still strives for perfection. To be the perfect mom, the perfect wife, or whatever. And then I beat myself up when I inevitably fall short of this unattainable goal. It's a no-win situation.
Instead, God continues to offer me a better way, a new plan. This is the one I want to take hold of and leave the old plan behind.
Once sins are taken care of for good, there's no longer any need to offer sacrifices for them. (10:18)
So, let's do it - full of belief, confident that we're presentable, inside and out. Let's keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. (10:22-23)
No comments:
Post a Comment