Followers

Thursday, October 11, 2012

October 11 - Philemon: Arms Of Grace

"I could lay out exactly what I want you to do in every relationship at every moment, and I could command you to obey. I AM the Lord. But instead, I want you to think about how I relate to people who wrong Me. It's the greatest love story ever told. It frees you to love as I do. Thanks to My Son, the power with which I love is now in you. And thanks to My Spirit, the wisdom to know what love requires in every relationship is available to you." 66 LL
I needed to hear this today. I'm currently going through a process of examining myself and many of my closest relationships, and I have found myself asking God to just TELL ME what He would have me do. Some of these relationships are stuck in hurtful patterns, and I have been clueless as to what the right thing is to do.

But that's the problem. I've been more concerned about doing the "right" thing rather than about asking what love requires in each relationship. I've been overwhelmed by guilt for the sinful resentment I've felt, but I haven't known how to address the root problems. God used the story of Philemon and Onesimus to show me that I've been focusing on the wrong outcome.
"You expected Me to command you to ask My forgiveness for your sinful lack of love {absolutely}, to forgive each of them for wronging you {of course}, and to move toward them in kindness {yep}. You pictured me with holy arms folded across My chest, waiting with a stern face to see what you'd do. {Was it that obvious??} Had I related to you in that way, at best, you've have gone through the motions of love. And you'd have drawn no closer to me.
"Instead, I have revealed My way of relating to you by telling the story of Onesimus, and reporting how Paul spoke to Philemon. I stand before you with holy arms of grace opened wide, inviting you to do what I know you most want to do and to do it as a free choice of love. You are forgiven for wrongs done against Me that are far greater than any wrongs done to you. And you are empowered, and therefore, free to relate to those who have wronged you as I have related and will forever relate to you." 66 LL
Father, thank You for telling me Your story of grace over and over and over again. How is it that I keep forgetting?? Why do I keep twisting it into a story of performance? You continually show me that You love me, that You have unending mercy toward me, and that You will supply my every need. Thank You for "swallowing the injustice of [my every] wrong into the ocean of [Your] grace." 66 LL

1 comment:

Staci said...

Beautifully stated, Cici. Thank you for elevating this little book of Philemon to its obvious importance since God has included it in His love letter to us.

I love the back story to this book - Philemon had every right to punish Onesimus, his runaway slave. Paul asked Philemon to consider another way, without even laying eyes on Onesimus or receiving an apology or knowing if Onesimus had really changed - the way of supernatural love that laid down all his rights to validation and justice.

"We are all God's Onesimi" (Luther). Counting myself among the offenders and needing to be a Philemon in some relationships today.