Since I received the book, I have been devouring the story of Chambers' life. He was a man who faithfully lived for Christ in all aspects of his life. And I've learned that every bit of insight I've gleaned from My Utmost, he learned through difficult personal experience as he walked with God.
I have had nothing but respect for Oswald Chambers from reading his devotions for the past ten years, but my esteem for him has only increased as I've learned more about his personal life and walk with Christ. The people closest to him - his wife, friends, co-workers, and students - confirm his integrity.
"In the closely-knit community of the college where classes, meals, and conversation were shared each day, a person might pretend for a while, but not for long. There was no discrepancy between Oswald's walk with God and his talk, and in the final analysis, that was the power of his influence." David McCasland, Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to GodI guess it's no surprise that Oswald Chambers came to mind as I read Paul's words:
Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. (4:6-7)I've been challenged by the short life of this one man who sought God and lived out that relationship in every aspect of his life. Christ was the center of his life.
"Chambers: "I don't care what God does. It's what God is that I care about"...He knew that God's actions could be very confusing, while the Lord Himself never was." McCasland, pg. 11
"He stressed the importance of obedience to God instead of constantly inquiring about the way we knew perfectly well. "What we need, " he concluded, "is to begin to walk in the way we already know."" McCasland, pg. 191
"Chambers: "Jesus would never allow His disciples to be in a panic. The one great crime on the part of a disciple, according to Jesus Christ, is worry. Whenever we begin to calculate without God we commit sin"...but [Chambers] was no stranger to the struggle of trying to gain a clear understanding of God's leading. It was not a matter of worry, but of sifting through competing calls to duty and discerning which one truly had come from God." McCasland, pg. 193
"From his prayer journal: "Lord, I praise Thee for this place I am in; but the wonder has begun to stir in me - is this Thy place for me? Hold me steady doing Thy will. It may be only restlessness; if so, calm me to strength that I not sin against Thee by doubting." McCasland, pg. 194Oswald Chambers' life was steeped in God's Word and in prayer. He fully lived out what Paul exhorts me to do.
Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. (4:8-9)I'm grateful and inspired today by the life of joy and trust of Paul and of Oswald Chambers. Thank you, Jesus, for the teaching and example of these two Spirit-filled men who were abandoned to God at every turn.
1 comment:
Such a quick trip through Philippians. Trying to heed Paul's admonition today: revel in Him - the One who makes me who I am!
Post a Comment