Followers

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

August 14 - 2 Corinthians 13: Christ Ablaze

"Now that we've come to the end of Paul's letters, I realize something else. The church at Corinth was a pastor's nightmare, but I really like the people he's addressing. Why do I like them so much? The new life in Christ was ablaze in them. They were up to their armpits in problems, but the problems didn't hold a candle to the mystery of Christ that was ablaze in them. They knew that their lives were being shaped for some grand and eternal purpose." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1816
I have enjoyed God's love letters to the Corinthians and greatly appreciated Paul's patient and Christ-centered counsel in dealing with this messed-up group of people. A pastor's nightmare, indeed.

But before I throw too many stones, I confess that there are plenty of times when I feel like I, too, am up to my armpits, wondering how God will ever conform me to His image. I can easily slip into admiring my problems rather than admiring the Problem-Solver. I can easily get discouraged by my deep-seated sin patterns that seem to entangle me rather than focusing on my Rescuer.

I guess it's not surprising that the battle seems particularly fierce in my own heart right now, as I am addressing the stronghold of anger. It feels like I take two steps backwards for every one step forward. Very humbling.

Despite the corruption within me, I'm confident that the life of Christ is ablaze in me. I see plenty of evidence of His work. The Holy Spirit is revealing some of the roots of my sin, and I'm comforted by my loving Father fighting for my heart, encouraging me to not give in to the lies of the enemy. I'm desiring intimacy with God on deeper levels than I have before, and I recognize my complete dependence on Him. Yes, because of God's grace and mercy, Christ is ablaze in me, drawing me nearer to Him.
"Know this: the corruption within you, evidenced by your ongoing failure to love that needs ongoing forgiveness, can be and will be used by My Spirit to draw you closer to Me." 66 LL   
I have hope that, because of Christ, none of this heartache is wasted. I'm grateful for the power of the Trinity in Paul's closing words to the Corinthians, which is fully available to me as well:
The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you. (13:14)

No comments: