Followers

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3 - Romans 15: Written For Us

I'm constantly tempted to think that I should have my act together by now, that I should be able to successfully live out all the biblical commands I know. Yet I prove every day that I can't do it.

Thankfully, the Scriptures keep reminding me that Jesus doesn't expect that of me. He's well aware that it's impossible for me. But the idol of perfection looms large in my mind, and the enemy keeps taunting me with my imperfection and inadequacy in every area of daily life.

Meanwhile, Jesus quietly and persistently reminds me that He is my Perfection. He is my Adequacy. He loves me for who I am, not what I can do. He's not looking down on me, wondering why I can't seem to get it together. In fact, Scripture tells me quite the opposite is true.
[Jesus] didn't make it easy for himself by avoiding people's troubles, but waded right in and helped out. "I took on the troubles of the troubled," is the way Scripture puts it. Even if it was written in Scripture long ago, you can be sure it's written for us. God wants the combination of his steady, constant calling and warm, personal counsel in Scripture to come to characterize us, keeping us alert for whatever he will do next. (15:3-6)
Lord, thank You for writing this for me. I really needed to hear it today. Thank You that You don't distance Yourself from me when I can't perform. Instead, You wade right in and help me! Amazing. I'm eternally grateful for Your steady, constant calling and Your warm, personal counsel in Scripture that I experience every time I pick up my Bible. I praise You for growing my love for Your Word and my desire to be in it.

No comments: