Followers

Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23 - 1 Corinthians 13: Bankrupt Without Love

I've been thinking a lot lately about what's going on inside of me - what drives me, what I desire, and why I do what I do. Larry Crabb's words ring true to me:
"No matter what is happening to you, your worst problem is in you. And that problem is not how badly you feel, it is how poorly you love. Your failure to love Me above all else and to love others at any cost to yourself defines your unholiness." 66 LL
I see my sin and experience my deep unholiness as I read Paul's definition of love, particularly:
Love cares more for others than for self...Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others...Puts up with anything...Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end. (13:3-7)
As much as I want to let myself off the hook, I know that I need to acknowledge and confess my lack of love as evidenced by what's going on in my heart and in my behavior. God is not allowing me to squirm away from the conviction He's bringing now. The many excuses I've used - I'm doing the best I can, I'm really not so bad, if I just didn't have to deal with that person/situation - no longer hold water as I measure myself against the Scriptures.
So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. (13:3)
Left to myself, it's true; I have zero ability to love God and others well. However, the beauty of the gospel is that, because of Christ, I now have His power within me to love as He loves.
Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ...Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20-21)
"When you recognize your unholiness and own it without excuse, your ears will be opened to hear My words of comfort and hope. And those words will set you on the narrow road to relating with holy love. There is no other kind." 66 LL
Lord, thank You for loving me so well. I pray You'll open my ears to hear You and allow me to go deeper in intimate fellowship with You. I ask You to transform my heart and enable me to relate in holy love to You and to others.

No comments: